Chapter 36: Family

There's only one thing more significant than time, and that's who the time is spent with. For the Brandons, that means spending time with family and making endless memories together. Those memories and moments are everything. It's worth every second and every penny to them. Because in life, every second counts. The most incredible legacy Charles and Mary can leave their children is those of precious memories.

During his visit, Henry is coming to understand all of those things. For a stubborn, selfish king, who is set in his ways, it's a long road to enlightenment. It's an even longer road for any changes to occur. However, the horrific situation with Catherine, the recurring ailments with his leg, and the fact he cannot keep a wife has led him to realize something. That something is this. His success is not measured in money. It's measured by the love that encompasses him.

Henry has so much love around him from his family. A love he hasn't known in a long time. Looking back over his life, he has come to the conclusion he has not had much love--- real love. His parents loved him in their own way. Henry VII, his father, was a wise and prudent man, brave and uncompromising with a robust memory. But the man also had the same problem that seemed to plague himself--- the continuation of the Tudor dynasty through a male heir. That line of thinking drove Henry's father to the brink of madness, especially after Arthur died.

Ironically Henry was never trained to be the King of England. Arthur was. Henry, however, took lessons from his mother, Elizabeth. She taught him everything she knew, along with his sisters. So he grew up the center of his mother's attention and a little spoiled. His mother even taught him how to write, which is why his handwriting is similar to hers. Where his father was strict, his mother was loving. Her love is the first real love Henry knew until now.

Now the love he's been longing for has been found. It's in the face of his grandchildren and two daughters. Henry's grandchildren love him with an unconditional type of love. The love that only children can give. They do not care that he is the King of England. He doesn't even think they fully understand that concept. They do not love him for the things he gives them either, although they enjoy his gifts. No. The children care for him because he's their Papa. He's part of their family. They love Henry for no other reason than they just do, without condition.

His daughters are the same, especially little Elizabeth. But Mary, for some unknown reason, has shown him the love of forgiveness. When he reflects on that, it's humbling. Henry realizes he cannot go and change the past, but mending their relationship has changed the future. If they hadn't repaired it, Henry would have missed out on the love his oldest daughter has to give him. He may have even missed out on the love of his grandchildren. There is great nobility in forgiveness, which is one of his daughter's many admirable qualities.

It's true Henry Tudor may not have a son for an heir, but he has a worthy daughter, son-in-law, and grandsons. When he meditates on what his legacy will be, which he's been thinking about lately, it's one that leaves the country in capable hands. Charles and Mary are a stable couple, spreading that stability around wherever they go. Spending time in Cardiff has shown Henry their love for each other even more.

He honestly had no idea of the impact of marriage between the two. Charles has always been a worthy man if but a little lost. Like himself, his friend was looking for love in all the wrong places, drowning in drink and women. Henry knew the marriage between the Duke of Suffolk and Margaret was destined for failure. They have drastically different personalities that are not suitable. But Charles and Mary are a different story. Their inner character is similar and complementary, which fits each other and works together seamlessly. The two encourage personal growth and foster peace.

Charles loves his wife, and family is the most essential thing in the man's life. He thrives on being a good husband and father and is very dedicated to it. That has brought out another side of Henry's most genuine friend. It adds credibility and credence to Charles as a leader and man. With Mary's help, the two have created a legacy of their own--- a legacy of love and faithfulness. That heritage extends not only to their family but also to their friends and governance.