Chapter 19: Bets

The thing about crazy people is that they don't know they're crazy. They're considered mad by the rest of society and shunned. But madness is like being drunk. All it needs is a little push to get the ball rolling. So Mary wonders who pushed her Aunt Joanna into her frenzy? On top of that, is she really crazy at all?

She's heard the stories about her mother's sister. She listened to the accounts of her grandmother, Queen Isabella, being struck down with a fever. They said that is when Aunt Joanna started showing signs of instability--- how she couldn't eat or sleep. But is that madness? If it is, then Mary is just as mad because she was that way when her mother died. She had been in a state of restlessness until she took prayer with the minister at the chapel in Cardiff. Then she was reminded her mother was in Heaven. That brought comfort.

The Princess also heard about Joanna wanting to join her husband in Flanders. This meant she would have had to travel through France; at that time, Castile was at war with France. So her husband had prevented her from doing so. It was said the lady went into a rage. But is that craziness? If it is, Mary may be crazy too because there's no war or distance she wouldn't cross to be with Charles.

Many rumors had been spread about her Aunt Joanna, like when she traveled with her husband's casket and opened it up to embrace and kiss him. In truth, her husband himself spread a lot of gossip about his wife. He didn't like that she flew into fits of jealousy over his many mistresses. That's a normal reaction from anyone. It's called being hurt.

When Joanna's son, the Emperor, took over as regent, he had her placed in the Royal Monastery in Tordesillas. She's been forbidden any visitors, which must be incredibly sad and lonely. It made the Princess think about herself and the times she's had bouts of melancholia.

Before marrying Charles, she had to survive those bouts of sadness on her own. Then she had him to lean on, and he didn't once think her mad. Even Doctor Pearce didn't believe her to be nuttier than a fruitcake. He simply explained the situation in ways she could understand, and Mrs. Nevitt assisted her in presenting methods for coping.

But her aunt had been placed in a monastery, thrown away like some unwanted piece of rotten meat. Her heart goes out to the woman. This is Mary's only living connection to her mother, and she wants a chance to speak with her aunt. It seems likely that His Majesty will not allow the opportunity. But she at least has to try, right?

So the Princess, dressed in a cheery cherry blossom printed gown, sent a letter to the Emperor asking if she and Charles might break their fast with him. A response came in the affirmative. The time gave her a little while to come up with a plan.

When the Prince entered the sitting room, he looked around for breakfast. Mary saw his eyes roaming in all directions and told him, "We're breakfasting with the Emperor this morning."

His eyes fixed her with a look. "Why" is all he said.

A bit of peevishness settled over Her Highness. "Why indeed? He's family, and should we not want to break our fast with family?"

Charles laughed at this notion. "I find this humorous mainly because you're up to something. I can tell by the look on your face. You forget, Darling, that I can read you like you read one of your rubbish poetry books. I'll humor you, though, and share breakfast with the Emperor. But just know that whatever you're up to, I had nothing to do with it."

Mary huffed in irritation. "You would say that. But don't worry, I will not include your name in my plot."

As she moved to walk past him, he caught her in his arms. "Good morning," he spoke softly. Then holding her steady, he bent her back in an enthusiastic kiss. Setting her back on her feet, he stated, "I've found that if you come right out and tell him what you want, The Emperor is more agreeable. Don't be sneaky." He winked his eye at her, and she swatted him on the arm. Together they left the apartment and were escorted to the Emperor's private sitting room.