Chapter 33: Lessons

Life has taught many lessons to the Princess of Wales. Most of them have been hard to learn. The main reason was that she had to reconcile her new life with her old one--- the life before Ludlow and the life during Ludlow. It's there she learned her hardest lessons. Life taught her how to be brave and strong, swallow her pride, and be humble. One of the more essential things she learned came when she wed Charles.

Both Charles and Lady Flora have helped the Princess understand the importance of using her voice. It's okay to speak up and say what she needs to say. Using her voice to stand up for herself is even better because if she doesn't advocate for herself, then who will? That lesson seemed to culminate when Mary had the fortitude to confront her biggest enemy, Anne Boleyn. It left her realizing one thing. Don't go looking for monsters unless you're ready to face them.

After the child was reunited with his parents, Mary made a stark request. It's something nagging in her mind that she can't let go of. Turning her eyes from the babe to her father, she asked, "May I see her?"

Henry wasn't quite sure what his daughter meant by that request. So he sought clarification. "May you see who?" He wore a questioning look on his face.

Without hesitation, the Princess let him know who it is she wants to see. "I want to see the Queen, Catherine."

Around the room, the men wore shocked expressions, Charles especially. His grip tightened on his wife's waist, expressing his concerns. "Mary, you can't be serious! The woman stole our baby! There's no telling what she might do. What could you possibly have to say to her?"

But there's a lot the Princess has to say to the girl. So, she explained. Staring at Charles first, Mary clarified, "I want to look into the eyes of the woman who stole my baby."

She addressed the room, "I want her to know she failed in breaking me. That no matter how much her darkness tried to extinguish my light, the light fought back and won. Because it did win, her darkness and evilness did not succeed even when she tried to conceal my child's parentage."

Mary shook her head, thinking about this poor, sorry excuse for a queen. Then she continued her thought. "I need Catherine to know her plans failed because the power of good always wins over the power of evil. Good is greater, even when it seems like all is lost. Because it was lost for me, but now my child is found. He's here in my arms. And it's because of all of you."

The Princess looked at her father, the Archbishop, and Edward Seymour. "It's because of you good men that evil wasn't allowed to stand. You stood up for the truth, and your consciences are clear. I have my baby back, and that's nothing short of a miracle. Catherine needs to know that. She needs to understand the effects of the hurt she has wrought. She needs to understand it."

Then Charles wiped a few stray tears from his wife's eyes. Mary sniffled and hugged the baby tighter. She put her eyes back on her father and beseeched him, "Please, father. I beg you. Please let me see the Queen."

Henry heard her explanation. He agrees with everything she says and understands her reasoning, but "If anyone is going to speak to the Queen, it will be me. Mary, you have had enough hurt, and I agree with you. Catherine needs to see the damage she's caused, not just to me but to you." He thought of something and met the eyes of everyone in the room. "I don't think she knows I know the truth about the baby just yet, as well as any of you." Then Henry's inner turmoil turned dark. Sometimes it takes a monster to destroy one. Yes, if anyone will talk with the little monster, it will be him. Quick to his feet, he called for the guards and told them, "Bring me the Queen. Have the guards stay to take her back once we're done here."

Once the security detail left, the room became noisy. Charles, Edward, and the Archbishop didn't think this was a good idea. However, when Henry gets something stuck in his head, he sees it through. The King told Mary, "Take the babe into my bedroom. My maid is in there to care for him, so he should be fine."