Chapter 91-Sophie

Start from the beginning

"Sophie." She looked up at him. His eyes glittered. "I miss her so much."

Sophie's own eyes blurred and she reached out for him, startled by the fierce intensity of his arms wrapping around her. He was grounding himself with her, she knew. So she held him tighter.

Drawing back, he rubbed his eyes with heel of his hand. Sophie reached up, her palms cupping his face in her hands. She searched his face, noting every show of pain, and promising to make that part of him smile.

"I love you," she said softly. "You know that."

Keefe nodded, exhaling shakily.

Sophie studied his face, then nodded. She stood on her tiptoes and gently pressed a kiss his cheek. "I'll be over with my parents if you need me, okay?"

Keefe nodded again.

She made the decision then and there.

***

Sophie knocked on the door, waiting until the dark wood swung open. She strode into the huge hall, noticeably bare and absent of the crowds. It felt so much bigger, empty like it was. The walk to the thrones at the end of it felt longer.

The two thrones, right next to each other, were also noticeably empty.

Sophie halted in front of the other nine councilors. Bronte stood and stepped off his throne, coming to a stop next to her. He squeezed her shoulder and said in a low tone, "It's up to you now."

Sophie took a deep breath, and gave him a fierce nod. She watched him walk back, and studied each and every face of the council.

"I refuse your offer."

It gained the shock she needed, she supposed, and she watched with a bit of satisfaction as Emory's face turned a slight shade of purple.

"As I'm sure you all know," Sophie started again, "I was offered a position on the council, barring the elections."

She waited for the slight, affirmative nod from Bronte before continuing. "I've had some time to think on it."

"Twelve months," Emory muttered icily.

Sophie shot him a withering glance. "And I've decided to refuse the offer." She waited for them to settle. "I have people who are important to me that I have spoken with, and I believe this is the best of either choice I was given."

"You thought," Emory said, icy calm, "for twelve months, just to refuse?"

Sophie arched an eyebrow at him. "In case you've forgotten, Emory, I hold no warmth to the council. Nothing you have done has turned out in my favor. You gave me an ability restrictor, your laws are full of prejudice, and you are too proud to change said laws." She paused. "And don't think I've forgotten about how long it took for you to approve my healing of Keefe Sencen."

Emory scowled. "Keefe Sencen was a traitor, wrongfully given powerful abilities—"

"Keefe Sencen saved your lives," Sophie interrupted. "In case you'd forgotten, you were headed for execution." Many of the other councilors blanched, but Bronte and Tarik were nodding. "However, we are not here to debate the loyalty of Lord Sencen."

She let a smile of satisfaction flash across her face as they were reminded that Keefe was a member of Team Valiant. And that Emory had been the one to propose it and was his contact councilor.

"What are we here to debate, Lady Foster?" Emory asked icily.

"She has a proposition that I've heard and think you should consider, Emory," Bronte said quietly. Emory glanced at him. Looked back at Sophie.