The Ball - Ch.34

The 24th of December arrived too quickly for anyone's liking.

Hermione, Ginny, Luna, and Lavender had gone dress shopping the day before and had spent most of the day in Diagon Alley. Ginny had gotten a long green dress with puffy sleeves, the skirt not too poofy and the top fitted.

Luna had gotten a one strap blue dress with shimmering stars and constellations on it. The dress flowed against her like a veil, flowy and breathable.

Lavender had gotten a pink gown, no straps. The skirt was wide, spreading off in all directions and making her seem a princess. The top was glittery and the bottom dressed in lace.

Hermione... she had a harder time getting a dress. It had taken three stores before she gave up on finding a white dress. Due to the marriage law, nearly all stores were sold out of white dresses.

That night, she had returned to the apartment exhausted and distraught. She ended up asking Draco to help her find a shop but she still wouldn't allow him to see the dress. He gave in eventually, giving her the address to one of the private clothing stores he knew of.

The day of the 24th, she was standing in what seemed to be a studio filled with dresses. She had three hours before the ball would begin and Draco, who had apparated her into the store, had a hairstylist and makeup artist waiting for her.

"Pansy will come get you at 7:20"He mumbled, narrowing his eyes at her. She knew he preferred that he come to get her himself and smiled shortly, pressing an apologetic kiss to his cheek.

"I'll see you in 3 hours, Draco"She told. He looked over at the dress designer, hairstylist and the makeup artist, all standing around a table as they spoke quietly.

"I'll stay an hour-"

"No"

"Half hour"

"Malfoy"

He glared down at her before letting out a huff. She took off her engagement ring and placed it in his hand. She stepped up on her toes to kiss the corner of his mouth before pulling away as his hand skimmed her waist.

He glanced at her one more time and then apparated away. All at once, the three professionals turned to her. "Mr.Malfoy has asked for a white dress?" The designer waited for Hermione to confirm it.

She gave a small surprised nod. The designer stared at her more closely, "You are the Malfoy wife, are you not? You will be attending the ball?"

"We are not to ask questions"The hairstylist hissed at her. "Ms.Granger, what would you like to do first?"

Hermione glanced around the store, "The dress is the top priority" She said, looking back over at them. "Can we start with that?"

They didn't answer her, rushing towards the back room before she had finished her sentence. They came back with 5 dresses floating behind them, each more poofier and elegant than the next. And Hermione silently regretted not letting Draco stay with her.

—:—:—:—

The ballroom was nearly the size of half of Malfoy Manor. Draco stood at the top of staircase, still in regular clothing as he watched people rush around, decorating. The room was almost entirely white, the stairs, the walls, the floors and even the pillars. They was specks of gold around, gold marble, gold chandeliers, gold streamers and decorations, along with gold trays on the tables.

His mother had spent an endless amount of money, that he knew. He walked down the marble staircase slowly, observing.

His mother was watching the workers rush across the room, ordering them around. "The guests will be arriving in two hours. I hope you have your suit ready?" She asked without turning to him.