Birthday - Ch.15

Many hours later, Draco woke up to something pecking on the window. He turned away from the sound, burying his head into the soft curly hair that surrounded him.

Soft curly hair. His eyes shot open, his face only a centimetre away from the person's neck. He moved his head slightly, pulling back to see the person in his bed. He only managed to pull away a tad bit before becoming aware of the hand in his hair. He glanced toward his other hand, holding hers. What the bloody hell happened?

He slowly drew his hand away from hers, and moved off of her, rolling over to his left. He sat up slightly, his hand resting on his bent arm. His right arm was still around her, he knew if he drew away from her completely, she would wake up. He stared at her, his mind racing as he tried to find out why Hermione bloody Granger was lying in his bed.

He was sure he would've woken up to her if she had just slept in his bed. He was as much as a light sleeper as she was. As though she felt eyes on her, she turned to lay on her side, unfortunately closer to him. One side of her shirt had lifted up, showing her side and a bit of her stomach. He reached under his pillow and accioed the covers off the floor- how had they gotten there?

He covered her with the covers but stayed where he was. The pecking was heard again and he looked up. An owl- but not at the window. There was a glass door on the other side of Hermione's bed.

Replacing the weight of his arm around Hermione with the covers, he slowly got up and walked toward the door. They had been given the balcony less than 16 hours after he'd paid for it. He opened the door and bent down to the owl sitting on the balcony. He untied the letter and the owl flew away. He glanced at it, McGonagall, before glancing back at Hermione.

He would deal with the letter later. Now, he had to figure out what had happened.

He walked back to the bed and lied down again, but didn't wrap his arm around her. She was now laying on her stomach, facing him. Her face was relaxed, peaceful. Her curls covered his entire pillow, a single strand over her face and he couldn't help the way the corner of his lips tugged up.

Find out. He cleared his throat, wiping any emotion from his face. "Granger" He said, hating how his voice came out rough. She didn't move.

He narrowed his eyes slightly. Why was she so comfortable laying beside him? Shouldn't she be scared? Like her friends had said last night, he wasn't capable of changing. He would forever be a death eater.

He poked her head. He was never good at waking people up. Blaise had made that clear when he arrived to class 3 hours late in 5th year. He hid a grin at the memory.

He pushed the single strand of hair away from her face and saw her smile lightly in her sleep. Why was she so comfortable?

"Granger,"He said softly. He hated that voice too. Where was his regular voice?

"Granger... just wake up for a second. I promise you can go back to sleep after you..." He drifted off when her eyes opened. She stared at him before her eyes went wide. She moved to lay on her side and looked around, slightly confused before remembering what had happened during the night.

He watched her blush as she looked away from him. What had happened?!

She sat up slowly, noting the covers over her as she turned her head to look toward the other side of the room. "Morning"She mumbled, squeezing her eyes shut. He looked relatively calm for finding her laying beside him- or had he woken up on top of her?

"Is there a reason that... you're here?" He asked, almost tempted to smirk at the way she was hiding her face from him.

"Oh. Um." She swallowed, her face red. "You had a nightmare. I tried to help, and then was... unable to leave"