Chapter 23 : Origins - II

Start from the beginning

Then he walked out, creeping back to the safe space he had created; walking away because he couldn't look into her eyes, he couldn't see that pain, that hurt that was choking her soul.

It was beginning to grow light outside, but the village already seemed awake. Y/N stretched her arm, knocking a scroll off the bed in the process. There were a few more scrolls that were left open, carelessly, on the bed from last night.

Last night. She smiled to herself at the memories. He had been restless most of the night, calling her out in his sleep, again and again, begging her not to leave him alone, until she had abandoned the scrolls and held him in her arms.

She tried to move his hand, lying flat on her stomach but failed to move it an inch.

"Mm-mm," Stephen mumbled and buried his face further in the curve of her neck. She felt so warm, safe, and familiar, he wanted to cling to her forever.

She sighed. Her fingers moved nimbly across the length of his arm- drawing intricate, irregular lines.

"Are you not mad at me?" He asked after some time.

"After understanding, you, not at all."

"Hmm. I don't want to let go. But we need to get to the well."

He could feel her going stiff at his words. "What is it, baby?" He asked, moving his hand and cupping her face.

"I don't know, I just don't feel good about this. It's like something deep inside me doesn't want to know about who I am." She buried herself in him. "It's just a bad feeling. I'm sure it's nothing much to worry about."

It was supposed to be located in the backyard of one of the wizards' castles. "The narrow path opens into a great black lake," the wizard said, pointing to one of the four paths in his back garden. "The water harbours creatures of dark magic. Only a few have managed to cross it, but none returned." After giving a fair share of warnings, he left them alone on their journey.

The trees lining the path tangled their boughs around each other in an unnatural manner. Mist arrayed through them and the narrow path.

Deeper they went into the woods, the thicker the mist grew, and the louder the wailing of the creatures that inhabited it. "Stephen," she choked when her eyes caught the outline of a figure, wandering in the distance.
"It's okay," he whispered, tightening his grip on her.

Y/N blinked in surprise when they emerged on the other side of the forest. The trees rustled and deafening moans chilled her spine as she looked at the moonlit lake that seemed to stretch beyond the horizon, and the starry sky. Everything about the place was unnatural - the creatures, the weather, the darkness.
A soft gasp escaped her lips when she spotted Stephen's darkened fingers around her waist. Was it the dark magic of the forest or was he using the dark arts? The latter seemed impossible to her.

"What we seek, lies deep in the lake," Stephen said, dipping his fingers in the chilly water, sensing the enchantment it held.

She looked through the silken surface of the water, and the silver lining of the creatures inside it.

"You wait here."

"What?" Y/N said. "No!"

"Yes, it will be easier and safer that way," the tips of his blackened fingers moved delicately over the water's surface, casting a spell or two.

"I'm not afraid of whatever lies in there; I'm coming with you," she protested.

"I neither doubt your abilities nor your courage, there is something else, reasons far from the dark creatures that prevent me from letting you into the lake."