Chapter 16 : The Safe House

It wasn't much of a surprise to find two sorcerers waiting for them in the parking lot. Pepper parted from them with a hope to see her soon. And Y/N felt they would meet again though not soon. She felt a little disturbed at the sight of Loki.

"Before we get started, I'll give a fair warning that you wouldn't like an apparition. It will be unnerving- weightlessness and exploding like. Won't be like stepping through a portal," Wanda told her. "There will be a period of ... unusual sensation."

"Then why not step through a portal? Wouldn't it be less unnerving?"

"Here is your first lesson," Loki responded. "Portals are the easiest way of teleportation but can be tracked. Apparition is the toughest and undoubtedly - the deadliest - but no one can know where you went."

"And what are we running from?"

"We exactly don't know. That's why the precaution."

It ended as instantaneously as it had started. It was undoubtedly unnerving, sickening, weightless, contracting, and then exploding. It had knocked the wind out of her and nausea churned in her stomach. Good thing it was quite empty.

"I'll never get used to this," Wanda panted. Y/N felt a little relieved that she wasn't the only one breathing in a jerky rhythm, heart pounding.

"You better get," Loki replied, his own voice a little breathless.

Trying to look up, Y/N shivered and thought, the words coming freely into her mind - the place was infelicitous.

The gate was tall and ominous and heavy, set strongly into a stone wall that went off through the trees. Even in the darkness, she could see the padlock and the chain that was twisted around and through the bars like a serpent. Beyond the gate, she could see only that the road continued, turned, shadowed on either side by the still darker trees.

With a flick of his finger, Loki opened the padlock, loosened the chain, and opened the gate wide enough for one of them to enter.

"Invite us in."

She stared at them in bewildered silence. They stood there few feet away as if some invisible barrier was holding them out. "We can't get inside any property unless it belongs to us or invited in."

"But this isn't mine."

"In sort of a way- you are inside- it is."

"Okay... come in," unsure if that was enough or something more formal was required. But it was enough. "I thought it was a myth."

"Not all myths are a myth. It's nature's own way of defending your kind from our kind."

As they walked along the deserted pavement she caught a glimpse of what could be a tower or rooftop. She wondered if it was a castle with towers and turrets and spires. If it was not then maybe some gargoyles and gothic statues.

They turned onto the last stretch of the straight walk to come, face to face, with the secluded old Victorian house. It was enormous and dark, looking down over them.

It was his home. She knew that, although where her certainty came from was a mystery to her.

It looked like the home of a wizard. Dark and secluded.

Lost beneath the tapestry of dust the main hall's bleached grandeur took her breath away. The blackened timbers that soared overhead housed an enormous chandelier laced with cobwebs. The fireplace stretched across one wall, the mantle and surroundings carved with mythical creatures. It was a grand place - one built for marquees, earls, or viscounts. Under the heaviness of the staircase were great double doors that veiled the hallway leading to the kitchen and the dining hall.