Chapter 3 : The Rochesters

With every passing week, Y/N felt life was just the way she had wanted it to be dull but normal – calm and peaceful – and not tormenting. When Matt didn't push her to get into the university, she felt more than grateful for understanding what she was going through.

'Well, maybe next year. Or you can get enrolled on some courses during the Spring. They do that nowadays, don't they?'

And Rachael- she was much pleased to be relieved of the domestic duties. She was happy when she didn't have to return home from her tiring shifts at the hospital to work at home. They even spent her day off – Wednesday – either going grocery shopping or at the reservation.

Most of her afternoons were spent curled up on the couch or in her bed, reading e-books. When Uncle wasn't quite pleased with her friendship not extending beyond books or the Bartons, she found some tolerable companionship- more appropriately the companions found her. The latter was quite apt for towns that had just a few thousand people, where most of them knew anything and everything that happened in the neighbourhood.

Emily Harriet was the girl next door while Janet Wells lived quite on the other end of the town. Emily was in her senior year of high school; she was one of those shy girls that open up their wild side once they become comfortable with you. Janet, on the other hand, had just made it out of high school and was helping her mother in their convenience store. She and Mrs Wells were probably the greatest gossiping duo of – Rockport, Van Hoff reservation and Concrete combined. She enlightened Y/N with essential knowledge of the neighbourhood when they took walks along the forest trails on the rare fine, sunny mornings. At times she wanted to ask her about those mysterious strangers but felt it was stupid to pry into the lives of some nameless people.

It was nearly after six weeks after her arrival that strange events started occurring, implicitly foreshadowing the thrilling turn her life was about to take.

Like any other rainy Saturday night, she was setting the table for dinner and Rachael was cooking the steaks. Matt had stomped down the hall, leaving a wet trail behind. And when he came up to the table to eat, he looked as if he was about to throw up.

"Is something wrong uncle?"

"Yeah, you look sick dad."

He let out a sigh in response.

"Y/N. You and Janet should no longer go anywhere near the forest."

It wasn't until they were cleaning the dishes that Matt told them about two missing hikers.

"The boys were missing since last week. We told the family that they might have just lied about the hiking trip and had probably left home because kids do that when they have a row. We had thoroughly searched the area and no bodies or any campfire or tent was found anywhere near the trail or camping grounds. We searched the river after we found their truck abandoned near the highway. And today, a bunch of high school drugers, found their bodies inside the cave near the nuclear plant."

Disgust was spread across his face when he spoke the last part of the sentence. He further continued:

"Their bodies were badly mutilated. Completely ripped apart. Scalp torn, claw marks and bite marks. Consumed."

"So was it a wolf or a bear?" Racheal was worried. Could this be from any one of those packs? But Nat had been clear whenever they held meetings. No one was allowed to hunt in their area. And no mistake of being spotted.

"Don't know."

"Must be the black bear. There aren't any wolves around here, are they?" Rachael concluded.

He shrugged his shoulders.

"But this wasn't the first one." He remarked.

"A Saxon farmer was found dead in a similar animal attack. It was two weeks ago. So be careful around the trails. Better not to venture deep."