Movie Star's Shirt |chapter 8|

The next morning a warm feeling awakened me. As I slowly opened my eyes I realized I was laying on something. I looked up. It was Sodapop. I quickly got up and sprung out of bed. But not too fast that would wake up. As I looked back at him, he looked so peaceful and quiet. As I headed out to the kitchen, Darry was already making breakfast. "Oh hey Coco," he said. "Hey," I responded. "Hey, do you mind getting out the chocolate cake?" Darry asked. I nodded. As I took out the cake, we heard the door open. Dally, Two-bit, and Steve walked in. Most of the boys were still tired so they didn't notice anything. But then Two-bit got this sudden burst of energy then looked at me. He stopped talking.

"What is it, Two-bit?" Steve asked him. "Coco, who's shirt is that?" He asked. I looked at him. "I don't know what you're talking about," I said. Then everyone processed what he said and looked at me. "Hey, isn't that Sodapop's shirt," Darry said. My eyes widened. "You're wearing Soda's shirt," Dally said. I looked at him. "I don't know what you're talking about," I repeated. As I got up to go change my clothes, Dally grabbed me from behind and started to rough up my hair. "Oh come on Coco you wouldn't be wearing his shirt if you didn't like him," Darry said. As he sat me down I fixed my hair.
"Now as you excuse me, I have to go get ready," I said. When I went to get my clothes I saw Soda was up. "Hey you're finally up," I said. He just smirked. I picked up my clothes. "What's so funny?" I asked. "Well when you were asleep you started to have a nightmare. You were moving all over the place so I thought you needed a hug. So I gave you one but you get back to sleep so you were just hugging me the rest of the night," he said. I stopped. "What," I said. "Are you joking?" He chuckled. I just walked out of the door in embarrassment. I went to the bathroom and put my clothes in a bag bag and decided to hop in the shower. After a while my arm started to itch. As I scratched it, it seemed like the water was hitting more but I didn't care. Soap was in my eyes so I had to keep them closed.

I got out of the shower, put on my clothes and cleaned myself up. As I went to the kitchen all the boys were talking. I could tell it was about me because they all stopped talking. "You guys can keep talking, I don't care," I said. I reached for a piece of chocolate cake. "We were just talking about the whole situation," Two-bit said. As we al talked we heard someone pull up outside. I looked threw the doorway. I saw red and blue flashing lights. "Guys, the police is here," I said. Dally looked as well. Then there was a knock on the door. We all looked at Darry. "You have to answer it," Steve said. Darry started to walk to the door. We were all scared why the police were here.
When the door was opened there were three police officers at the door. The first one had his had on his gun, like something was going to happen. "Hello. Is this the Curtis residents?" The officer asked. "Yessir," Darry said. The other officer spoke up. "We are also aware that Dallas Winston and Coco Hutson also come here. Are they here currently?" He asked. Darry was hesitant. "Yeah, they're in the kitchen. Do you want me to go get them?" Darry asked, while stepping aside. "No need," the third one said. As they walked in, the third one stayed by Darry. "Dally, there here to take us to the station," I whispered. I looked at him. "What are we going to do?" I asked. We heard the fuzz walking towards us. When they laid their eyes on us they pinned us against the wall.

"Hey! Let go of her," Soda showded. Steve led him back. I could hear Darry in the other room yelling at the officer, asking what's going on. I looked at Dally. He was as confused as I was. They put us in handcuffs and led us out the door. As we were ushered into the car, we could hear everyone yelling at the cops trying to figure out what was going on. I looked at Dally. "You know where Johnny and Pony are?" I asked. He was quiet. "Dallas its a simple yes or no question. No one else had to know," I said. "Yeah Johnny did kill Bob. They did come to me for help and I gave them a place to stay and some money,"he said. "Why didn't you tell everyone else?" I asked. "The more people know the more likely that they would end up in jail for being an accomplice," he said. "That's why I can't tell you anymore." I nodded.

After the police hauled us off to the station. They had to ask us more questions. They thought somehow we were involved. Instead of the police separating us they had us stay together because they thought there would be a few in our stories. After they asked us questions about that night everything was quiet. Then the officer looked at me. "How did you get those marks on your arm Ms. Hutson?" The fuzz asked. Dally looked at me then my arm. "Coco," Dally said. I looked away from both of them. "Are we done here?" I asked. "Why do you do it? Is it because of how hard your dad slaps you around or how often your mom brings home random guys," he said. I looked at him about to lose my cool. "Are we done here?" I repeated.

The officer got up. "I got the answers I needed," he said. He uncuffed us. As we walked out we were both silent. When we were outside, I lit a cigarette. I could feel Dally's eyes on me. I looked at him. I could tell he was concerned but also mad. "Coco, really," he said. I looked back at him. "Dally please. Not now," I pleated. "Tell me Coco. I told you about Pony and Johnny. Now it's time for you to tell me something," he said. "Dally," I said. "I don't think I'm ready to talk about it yet. No one has ever cared about me before. I don't know how to talk about my feelings. I push them down. That's how I cope," I explained. "Now let's just go back to the house." We started to walk. When we were just a bit away from the house, he heard a car pulling up behind us.

As we looked at the car, Socs were driving like maniacs. "I think they're after us," I said. "They look angry." "Greasers, it's time to get a haircut," the Socs said. We both started to run. We finally lost them and got to the house. I sat on the porch. "You go in. I don't think I'm ready to go," I said. He sat down beside me. "You know when I go in I have to tell them," he said. "I know," I said. "You know they're going to be pissed," he said. "I know." He got up and went inside. I waited silently. I heard something shattering. There was some screaming and then silence. I heard the door open. I didn't want to know. I just let out a puff of smoke. Someone sat next to me. It was Sodapop. I could tell he was sad. "Why do you do it?" Soda asked. I hesitated. "Sometimes... I need a way to remind myself that I have a... complicated life. It's easier to do it than to face what's on the other side of the door," I told him.

He looked at me. "Coco, you don't have to go back to that house," he said. I looked at him. "I have to. There's no other option," I said. "But you slept here last night," he said. "Yeah and I'm going to get punished for it," I reminded him. "You're going to stay here tonight," he said. I tried to respond but he stopped me. "You are. We are going to your house and we're going to get some clothes. I'm not letting you stay there tonight," he said. "Soda..." I said. "Coco," he replied. I sat there for a moment. "You said 'we' right?" I said. Soda nodded. I got up. I sighed. "Ok. Let's go."