Chapter seven

Magsimula sa umpisa

"We have to help her!" I shouted running towards him.

"Don't bother they're just a bunch of stupid pixies!" Seth complained rolling his eyes and laying down.

The woodpecker had already eaten one pixie and now he had moved on to another tree, I could hear tiny little screams from inside. It must be absolutely terrifying to have a giant bird trying to peck its way into your house and eat you alive.

I crept up behind the woodpecker staying as quiet as a mouse using the trees for my cover, I pulled my blanket out of my backpack and held it firmly in my hands. I approached him from behind just as he broke through the next tree. He was about to eat the pixie when I threw the blanket over him.

He started squawking and flapping his wings trying to peck me I wrestled him onto the ground, trying to avoid the pointy beak and sharp talons. He stopped struggling and laid limp as a rag doll. I unfolded the blanket and flinched when I realized I had accidentally broken his neck. I didn't mean to kill him. I just didn't want him to eat all the pixies. 

I heard a strange buzzing from above my head and looked up to see a fairy, she flew onto my face and hugged my nose. Suddenly hundreds of fairies came flying out of their trees. Their voices were so high pitched I couldn't tell what they were saying. They showered me with what I assume was meant to be affection and I stood still as a statue so I wouldn't accidentally hurt any of them.

The largest of the fairies flew up to me she was almost six inches tall with a dress made of grass and large golden wings the let her hover in the air. She started speaking and the noise that came out sounded like cricket chirping.

"Sorry I can't understand you?" I said shrugging wishing I could.

She gestured towards two fairies struggling to carry a golden coin the size of a quarter. The managed to lift the coin up to my hand and I gently took it from them.

"Wow is this for me?" I asked looking it over it had the number seven engraved on it in fancy cursive writing a dash drawn through the middle of it "Thank you so much."

The fairy nodded her head to me, and the rest started chirping it was so loud it was like a choir made up of a million crickets. Seth covered his sensitive ears with his paws and whined. One of the fairies flew over to pet him and he snapped at her pulling off a piece of her petal dress. She put her hands on her hips then shook her finger chirping angrily before flying away. A tiny fairy flew up to me no taller than two inches carrying a leaf struggling to fly since the leaf was so heavy.

"Thank you," I said letting her land on my hand, Brandy would've loved this so much. 

There was a very strange symbol written on the leave, there was a tall triangle like a mountain with some snow drawn on the top then a half circle drawn at the bottom kind of like a door, then there was a line leading around the triangle. Maybe it's a map?

"Thank you very much" I said putting the leaf and the coin away in my pocket.

The fairies bowed to me and chirped a bit more before they all flew back to their trees. The chilly wind must've been making them cold. Seth came over to me smelling at my pocket.

"What did they give you?" I pulled the leaf and coin out to show it to him and he snorted.

"You could've gotten your face torn off by that bird and all they give you is a crummy painting and seven awphs, what cheapskates!"

I was slightly disappointed when I found out that the gold coin wasn't worth very much but not really.

"I didn't save them because I wanted their money, I did it because it was the right thing to do."