13 - Into The Fire

Its been a few days since Sonya died. I never knew I could feel this empty and resentful. I thought it was bad when Rachel passed away, but it didn't even compare to what I felt right now. It was like I had a black hole inside me. It swallowed up all of my good emotions and left the ones like anger and sadness behind.

Harriet would randomly burst out crying. I couldn't blame her, they've been together from the start. But if she didn't pull herself together we wouldn't get to the safe haven in time. Right now that was our number one priority. I kept reminding the girls of that, just so it would get their minds off the unspeakable event. To keep myself going, I told myself that when we do get there I would unleash hells fury on WICKED. No one would hold me back, no one.

I think the most horrible thing we've had to do was leave Sonya's lifeless corpse behind. I pulled her out of Harriet's arms and dragged her out into the light of the tunnel. Elizabeth ripped Sonya's backpack so we could at least cover up her face. Then we left her there. We couldn't even bury her. We were forced to abandoned our friend and let her rot.

"I think I see the room!" Mary announced.

I lifted my head and looked to where she was pointing. I could barely see the bright lit area in front of us, but it was definitely where we were supposed to go. Seeing that made my mood lighten up a bit. It meant I was one step closer to my goal.

"Come on," Teresa said, beginning to run.

Harriet and I ran on either side of her while the rest of the group ran behind us. It now occurred to me that the three of us were leaders to them. They always listened to what we had to say and they always did what we told them. I didn't think I was the leading type. But I guess someone has to step up when no one else will.

When we got to the there, I was pleasantly surprised. There was nothing in there except two elevators that were on each side of the rectangular room. Directly in front of us was a set of instructions written on the wall.

They read:

1. Rest and nourish yourselves.

2. When the alarm rings prepare to enter the elevator.

3. Teresa will enter the elevator on the left before anyone else.

4. Harriet and Anne will enter the same elevator shortly after Teresa.

5. The rest of Group B will enter the elevator on the right when Harriet and Anne go up.

6. Follow the intrusions given to you by
A. D. Janson.

I stared at the list in confusion. I was expecting something more on the lines of: you're on your own losers, good luck. But no. This was actually useful information.

"Nice of them to care about our health," Izzy murmured.

"We better do what they say," I began. "If we don't they might send some Cranks on us again." Saying that earned me a glare from Harriet. "I'm telling you, killing Sonya was all part of their master plan. That A.D. Janson guy even said everything they do is for a purpose. If it wasn't planned then they would have interfered in some way."

"You're just trying to force the blame on them so it's not on yourself," Izzy accused me.

I faced the devil child before taking two steps until I was in front of her. "It's not my fault and you know it."

"All I know is that you let her die!"

"Where were you miss perfect!" I said, my voice raising. "I was the one who killed those two Cranks. I was the one who went after her first. I was the one who had to watch two of my friends die! You can't blame me for something I couldn't prevent. So don't point your dirty little finger in my face. You hear me?"

Izzy fake cried and rubbed her eyes. "Oh boo hoo. I'm drowning in my tears. Get over yourself, Anne. You act like you're so good and that you help everyone but you're as worse as WICKED."

I scoffed. "If I'm so bad then why didn't I leave your ass to get eaten by the Grievers? Why did I risk my life to save yours? I fucking hate you so much but I wouldn't let you die. You wanna know why?"

"Is it because you're planning to kill me like you did with Rachel and Sonya?"

"No. So I can do this."

I swung my fist so hard at her face that I swear I could hear her cheek crack. Izzy fell onto the floor before I went on top of her and threw punch after punch after punch. But I was soon dragged off the girl by Amelia and Joan.

"I should have left you to die," I spat.

••••••••••••

When the siren sounded it brought everyone back into the reality that we were definitely not safe anymore. We packed up our things and stood in front of our designated elevator.

I can't lie. I was extremely nervous. My palms were starting to sweat and I became very fidgety. So I closed my eyes for a moment before taking in a deep breath.

Teresa went up. It felt like an eternity until the elevator came back down. A sick feeling entered my stomach as I stepped on the bronze metal platform. It was as if I was in the box again. Waking up in there was one of the worst days of my life. I hoped this wasn't going to be the same.

The door closed behind Harriet and I. I almost wanted to run back and pry them open. But I held myself back and looked upwards. It was completely dark except for the sliver of light that came from the opening. It seemed like there was no top to the elevator.

It jolted upwards before speeding up at an amazing rate. I fell to my knees and tried to steady myself.

As we got to the top, an overwhelming feeling of excitement and anxiety filled me to the brim. The ceiling opened up and extremely bright light shined through. I covered my eyes with my forearm to block out the burning. I couldn't tell if it was this hot because we were just underground or if what Rat Man said was true, the sun scorched the earth.

My question was answered when my eyes adjusted and the elevator stopped moving. I looked around seeing desert everywhere. Behind us was a large mountain, in front of us was Group A, a burnt city, and the rest of our group surrounding the boys.

Teresa walked over to Harriet and I, her spear gripped tightly in her hands. I took that as a cue to grab my machete from my backpack.

"You two ready?" she asked.

"Hell yeah," I answered while Harriet nodded.

"Good. Then let's go."

She began to walk toward the boys as Harriet and I went on either side of her. As we got closer I could see the looks of surprise on their dirty faces. But one in particular caught my eye. He looked like he'd just seen a ghost. The boy was muscular and he looked to be burned. He wouldn't take his eyes off of me.

"Anne?!" he screamed.

👻👊👻👊👻👊👻👊👻👊👻👊👻👊👻

Man oh man. What will the Meanhoe do?

~Don't forget to vote and comment!~