CHAPTER 10

"Wow, so it was true." she says with her arms folded on her chest.

What happened to 'hi, how are you'.

"What was true?", I asked nonchalantly, still holding Zama in my embrace

"Are fucking my sister, Nkosana?", she asked while squinting her eyes.

I let out a humourless chuckle." So I turn my back, and my ex is already fucking my sister, wow, yazi ngiyavelelwa.",she says while clapping. Always so dramatic.

"Can you keep it down, she's sleeping." I whispered yelled, I slid my hands behind her knees and picked her up bridal style.

I stepped out of the elevator. Khetho had opened her mouth to speak before being disturbed by the shuffling Zama in my arms.

"Nkosana, can you please put me down.",she said softly.

I slowly put her down, making sure that her body was stable enough for her to stand by herself

"Zama, I'm very disappointed in you." Khetho says, wearing a disgusted look on her face

"He's just a friend." she says defensively

"No, Zama nje voetsek." she interrupts. She looks at me for a while "Nawe." she adds.

Khetho clicks her tongue and leaves and so does Zama. Women.

**********

I haven't spoken to Zama since the day of the elevator incident. I called her a few hours later to check on her.  Our conversations were awkward and uninteresting, I haven't called her ever since.

On some days, I want to call her but on some days I just want to delete her number and forget I ever met her.

I had thirty minutes before my lunch break was over. At some point, I wanted to go to her workplace and act like I wanted to buy something just to see her.

Sandile and I were eating a take away he bought a few minutes back.

Whistles filled the the building. Perverts. There was only 8 people in the room I was currently in which were my close colleagues.

The noise came from the cafeteria. Sandile looked at all of us quizzically, none of us had the answer to his unsaid question.

"Fresh meat?" he asked, looking at all of us,with a glint of amusement in his eyes.

"Wena, shut up. You're married." Samkelo said from the corner

Bayanda got up and left the room, I followed.

I entered the cafeteria and my eyes immediately landed on a lady wearing a khaki coat with black heels. This was was reason for so many whistles? She was carrying handbag and a lunch bag with the other. Maybe she was a new employee. When I was about turn my back, the woman turned, facing my direction, giving me a full view of her body

Zama?

"sawubona sisiza" [hello woman]

"I'm single"

"Ngizomushada loyo" [I'll marry that one]

"Waze wamuhle,muntu wami"[you're beautiful]

The men  screamed while others whistled. I took a few long strides before getting to her.

I gave a few of the people I knew death glares so they could shut up.

I placed my hands on her shoulders "Zama"

"Nkosana." She mumbled softly

"What are you doing here" I asked

She kept on opening her mouth and closing it with no words being said. I could sense that shat she was very uncomfortable with all the prying eyes.