FIFTEEN

LISA
***

Staring at Somi standing on my sister’s doorstep wearing oversized sunglasses and a black coat, I nearly laugh but manage to refrain.

“What are you doing here?”

She gasps and places a hand over her chest.

“I saw the news an hour ago, Lisa. I’m here for Ebony. Geez, I’m not a monster. How could you think I wouldn’t be here?”

There’s a weird pitch in her voice. It’s shaky, on edge.

Rolling my eyes, I hold the door open and let her waltz inside.

She marches down the hallway with her arms outstretched until she reaches my sister standing at the other end, glaring at me for letting her in.

“I’m so sorry about Rich, Ebs.”

Ebs? She’s crazier than I am. Not once has she ever referred to her as Ebs.

“I actually need to go into the office if you’re ok to stay with her for a while?”

“Sure, anything for the family. I came straight over when I saw the news, it’s just devastating.”

***

REPLY:

Jennie,

I shouldn’t be telling you this, but I can’t help but feel moved by your story.

I know someone who works at a business who sponsors students. I can give her your name if you would like to go and have a meeting with her? She works at LeeManoban Industries.

Spaces are limited and time is of the essence, so you’d need to meet with her as soon as possible.

From,
Ebony

***

I drive down Jennie’s street but don’t stop.

Police are all over her yard, yellow tape around the car, and a tow truck stationed ready to take it away once they’ve done what they need to.

It’s fitting really.

Both Richard and Jennie’s stepfather like to beat women, and I took them both down with one stone.

I want to go to her so badly, but it’s too risky with the spotlight on her house right now, so I give my sister the time she deserves from me.

I need to rescue her from Somi.