THIRTEEN

LISA
***

Knowing you’re doing something wrong and actually doing something about it are two very different things.

I know it’s not normal for me to be sitting outside my sister’s bedroom listening to her cry.

I’m not normal though.

I have a sickness, and I know that.

But I can’t force myself to move away.

Her sorrow comforts me, makes me feel strong.

And now I need to be the warrior that will re-build her life for her, eliminating anything in it that hurts her.

I’m her savior in this. Richard was a cunt who had to go.

Getting to my feet, I knock on her door.

Not waiting for a reply, I go inside to find her dressed but crumpled up on the bed.

“I can’t do it,” she says, her voice muffled by a pillow. “I can’t see him like that, Lisa. Don’t make me.”

“You want me to do it?” I ask, and she nods.

Seems a little perverse for me to go see the damage I caused, but if she can’t do it... Richard didn’t really have any relatives that actually liked him.

“Ok.”

She lifts up and launches herself at me.

“Thank you.”

***

“Are you ready?” the officer asks, waiting for a confirmation.

He then proceeds to nod to a guy who leads me to a window.

They gave me some drivel about death being traumatic and how a body can look different and how upsetting this can be, what the fuck ever.

Just get this shit over with.

The guy on the opposite side of the window stands over a table, a body shape covered by a blue sheet before him.

With a nod from the officer he pulls back the sheet and Richard’s mangled face appears.

They’ve made an effort to clean him up, but fuck, this would have destroyed Ebony.

I nod. “That’s him,” I say, making my face drop and tears spring to my eyes.

I turn away, pretending to need a minute, then ask,

“Any leads?”

“Unfortunately that road isn’t used often, and there are no cameras for forty miles in either direction. It’s going to be hard to find those responsible.”

No it’s not.

I wait for an hour after leaving the coroner’s office before ringing the county tip line.

“My neighbor came home with blood all over his car last night.”

“Can you give me the address and your name, ma'am.”

Yes to the address.