Chapter 9

[Madelyn]

"What's her name, Nick?" I ask again, my voice coming out as nothing more than a whisper. He's stopped kissing me but he is not responding. "Nic-"

"She has no name, because she doesn't exist." He pauses and pulls his head back to look at me. "The only woman I love is you. The only woman I ever will love is you." The sincerity in his voice almost makes me believe him. But then I realize it's not sincerity. It's desperation.
Lies. Lies. Lies. I want to scream at him. I want to tell him that I know he's lying. I want to tel him that I know the truth. And I want him to tell me the truth.

"Please," I say quietly. "Please don't lie to me." I'm giving him one last chance. This one chance to tell the truth. "If you do something you shouldn't- you should at least have the balls to own up to it." I say, my voice unrecognizable. I'm mad. I want to choke the truth out of him I want to-

One knock on the door.
Shit.

We both look at the direction of the sound. Both of us know very well who is behind that door. But neither of us make a move to open it. Not now. Not here.
Nick looks at me. I can feel it. But I try not to look back. Not to care too much. I act like I'm surprised that someone knocked on our door. I act dumb.

I finally look at Nick who is narrowing his eyes at the door. Like he's debating over whether he should open the door or not. So I beat him to it. I push away from the counter and walk past him towards the door. My hands are slightly shaking when I unlock the door. But its all adrenaline.

The door slides open smoothly and and as I expected, there he is. He's waiting patiently with one hand in his pocket, the other one holding something.
His face turns towards me as soon as I open the door. I inhale a breath, remembering how I had run away from him just one hour ago.

"Madelyn," he clears his throat and opens his mouth to say something but stops to look at something behind me. I can feel Nicks body approaching me from behind and his hand sneak around my waist, protectingly. I tense and look at his hand before slowly trailing my eyes back up toward Lucian's face. His jaw is clenched and his lips pressed to a thin line.

"How unexpected to see you here..." Nick trails off. I don't even listen as Nick continues to speak. My eyes are so fixed on Lucian's face, his eyes. I can smell his perfume. A rich smell, spice and gold. It smell's exactly like how I imagine gold would smell if it was a fragrance. Fresh, spicy gold.
But Lucian's eyes are still on Nick. They're having some kind of conversation but everything is foggy. My mind cannot seem to focus on their voices.

"What do you want with my wife." Nick says emphasizing the word 'my'. That part I do catch. That is what brings me back to reality.

"I just wanted to give you these back-" Lucian says, his voice holding no emotion. He hands me what is in his hand and I gulp. Loudly. Nick stiffens beside me as he realizes what Lucian is holding. Please make it go away...

I try moving forward but Nick is holding me still. He is not making any progress in letting me go.
So I put my hands on Nicks arm gripping my waist and push it away. I break free from his grasp and his hand falls to his side. Something heavy is growing in the pit of my stomach. I take a step forward and take my nicely folded hoodie and my bra from his hands and accidentally touch his hand in the process. I don't look at him. I can already feel him staring down at me.

"Th-thanks." I mutter and take a step back. My back collides with Nicks heaving chest and I feel him grab my wrist harshly, forcing it up to his eyes. He scans the clothes in my hands and I look at Lucian. He is staring at the grip Nick has around my wrist with his eyebrows furrowed angrily. "I-I should probably-"

"What is this?" Nick spits out, cutting me off and I wince when he squeezes my wrist tightly. A vein in Lucian's temple pops and I try to meet his eyes. Ensure him that it's okay. I'm okay.
But he isn't looking. He isn't meeting my eyes. He doesn't even notice my stare. Because his eyes are so fixed at Nick and his hand around my wrist.

Nick tugs on my hand and then I realize. My eyes grow wide. I'm holding my bra and shirt that Lucian came to drop of for me. After I disappeared for hours without telling Nick or answering his phone calls and texts.
Oh god.
Nick thinks I slept with Lucian. My head is spinning. It feels like my soul leaves my body and I'm tripping, trying to steady myself.

"Nick..." I whisper quietly but I'm aware that I am the only one able to hear what I'm saying. They're both so focused on each other. "Nick let's get inside and talk..." I try again but with a slight change of tone. Nick releases my wrist and I flinch when he does it so harshly. He scoffs and I feel his body disappear from behind me. I hear him walking away, slamming the door to our bedroom. I try not to flinch. I try to show no emotion as I feel the tears burning in my eyes. Threatening to make an appearance.

I look up to face Lucian after a few minutes of silence only to find him staring at my hand. I follow his gaze and gasp lightly when I see the redness spreading around my wrist. I quickly hide it behind my back and ignore the pain pulsing through my hand.

I clear my throat and try looking at him again. His eyes are burning with anger and the vein in his forehead looks like it's about to pop. He's looking in the direction of where Nick went and I'm scared. For what he's going to do- if he's going to do something.

"Lucian," I start and he looks like he's been startled out of a dream. His eyes meet mine and immediately soften a bit. "I think you should leave..." I whisper. I'm ashamed of what I'm thinking. I'm ashamed for thinking about Lucian in a way I never have thought about Nick. And I'm embarrassed that I won't be able to hold myself if I don't ask him to leave. Now.
One thousand thoughts are evolving in my head and none of them are about Nick. All of them are about the man in front of me.

"If you think I am going to leave you with that sick man then you are truly, love, not thinking straight." He answers with a calm, soft voice that doesn't suit his face expression. At all.

"Please," I beg. "Please, let me handle this." Desperation is written all over me. "I won't be able to do that if you stay." I watch as something changes in his eyes. A moment of silence passes. It feels like hours. Why is he not saying anything? I am not breathing. Am I even alive?

"Very well. I am sorry for showing up unannounced and it will not happen again." He finally says. He clears his throat and I don't even recognize the coldness of his voice. He's still speaking calmly but a thick layer of ice is filtering his tone. He grabs the door handle and pushes the door shut. I catch a last glimpse of his eyes and they flicker with something. Something that makes me want to tear the door down and apologize. Hurt.

Woah, woah- I don't even know
what to say. AND THANK YOU SM
FOR READING MY BOOK. It really
Means a lot to me.
So thank you. <3