Nine

The park was the usual. Cold and occupied by mostly teenage girls.

A few grown people loitered about. As of late, a lot of teenage girls had begun hanging out in the park because of a certain ice cream truck boy.

I puffed out a breathe and shot Fayth a look. "It's like the whole female population of teens is here."

She smiled. "Well, he is a hot piece of cake. Coupled with the fact that he's a new face."

With a roll of my eyes I looked away. "Most of them are new faces."

All the inns and renting were fully booked for this Christmas and a whole lot of new people filled our normally quiet town. Lucas saw new faces every single day.

Every one of us stood and sat at alert when the ice cream truck tune rang in the air. The truck drove around the park and slid into the very end, where it always was on Thursday's and Sundays.

My hand shook from jitters and I suddenly couldn't stand straight.

Fayth stood beside me and looked down with a frown. "Uh... get up? At this rate we'll be the last ones on the line."

I swallowed. "I don't think I can. He was so mad."

She shrugged and turned to walk in the opposite direction of the truck. "Well then, let's get going."

Panicked that she would leave, I clutched onto her coffee coat and wailed."Fineee... fine, just give me a second okay?!"

After my second of internal panic, we trudged to the truck. Of course the line was basically endless, but this time, it was some sort of comfort to me. I silently practiced the lines in my head. "I'm so sorry..." over and over.

We slowly trudged forward and forward til we were second in line. At the sight of me his eyes turned dark and his lips pulled into a thin line.

Oh shit....

I tried to make a run for it but Fayth just grabbed my shoulders and starred me forward with her.

"Hey Hunter." She sounded extra sweet. He smiled at her, but when he looked at me I felt like dissolving into the ground.

His lips pulled into a grim line. "What would you like?"

I blinked. "To apologize? I mean, I am so so sorry about what happened. I didn't mean to come off like that, I just- "

"I meant ice cream."

My cheeks immediately turned red and I shut my mouth. "Oh..."

Fayth glared at him. "You know, I was really rooting for you and I dragged her ratty ass down here to finally apologize because whatever happened between you two was eating her up, but now, I think you're an ass. Drown on your ice-cream bitch." She grabbed my arm and pulled me away.

"The nerve of him. Who does he think he is?!"

My chest felt funny and my hands were sweaty. I blinked back a little moisture from my eyes. Oh my God, I can't be crying!! I just met the boy for goodness sake!!

Fayth seemed to sense my change of mood and stopped. Her eyes widened at the sight of me. "Ohh... I'm so sorry I got mad and ruined your apology or whatever, but he was just so- Ugh!!"

I rapidly blinked and forced a smile. "It's not you. Ugh, I don't even know why I'm crying. I just met the guy and he's not even my friend!! Noah's right. I'm way too emotional- "

"Stop it. Your ex-boyfriend was a douchebag and scum. Nothing he said needs to be given a fuck and besides, who ever said being emotional is a bad thing?!"

Before we could say more we were interrupted by a voice. At the sound of it my chest jumps weirdly and my stomach coils.

"Hannah!! Wait!" Hunter ran towards us. His boots crunched in the snow and his scarf was haphazardly flung around his neck. "Wait."

Fayth stepped in front of me. "What?!"

I grabbed her arm. "I've got this."

He stopped right in front of me, totally bypassing Fayth. "Hannah... can we talk, please?"

I bit my lip conflicted. I hated that a little disagreement made me want to beg him till he forgave me, at the same time I felt I was overreacting. And I was still kinda embarrassed about earlier...

"Please..." his grey eyes were soft. So was his voice , and damn... his voice.

I blew a raspberry because I was such a sucker for voices. "Okay,"

Fayth grabbed my hand. "If he tries anything just yell my name. I'll kung-fu kick butt." With a glare at him, she turned and trudged to a park bench a while away.

I stayed like that, turned towards her because I was suddenly nervous to be alone with him. My nerves felt jittery, my palms were suddenly sweaty in their mittens and I wriggled my toes in my snow boots.

"Hey..." he paused. Took a deep breathe. "I- I'm sorry about back there. I was an ass. I deserve to be thrown into a sea of Fanta."

And I had to look at him, because what the hell...

He shrugged at my look. "I hate Fanta. It tastes weird, like cough syrup and cinnamon."

My mouth was definitely to the ground at that point, because who didn't love Fanta?!

He took a deep breathe. "I don't know why you suddenly got upset that day, but It wasn't my place to be mad or give you a hard time about it. I'm sorry. I can be a dick sometimes."

I was certainly speechless. He hates Fanta and just apologized for something that was not his fault...

I swallowed, because now it felt like my heart was beating for a completely different reason, and I was such a sucker for nice guys too.
"I- It's fine... if anything I should be apologizing. I didn't mean to act like such a pain before, and you had every right to get mad. I was just-"
nope. Definitely not going to tell him that for some reason seeing him with another gurl triggered memories of my cheating Ex boyfriend.
"I'm sorry." I ended lamely.

He however, looked like I had just handed him a bottle of something that was not fanta.
"So, we're good?"

I nodded. My stomach felt weird. And I hated that it felt weird, because whenever it felt like that, nothing good ever came from it.