17

I opened my mouth to say something, but then I closed it again, not wanting to argue. Not wanting to waste my breath and make myself even more miserable than I already was.

"Fine," I heaved.

"Glad that's settled," Bruce smiled. "Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get ready for work."

He rolled his eyes and rolled out of bed, making his way to the bathroom. The next thing I heard was the shower turning on, and I let out a sigh as I continued to toss and turn in bed.

I stared at the dried blood on my knuckles, from smashing the mirror yesterday. After Bruce made me feel so damn worthless, and so damn shit about myself.

The last thing I wanted to do was go to a ball.

Everybody there would probably think I was just as ugly and just as fat as Bruce made me out to be.

I couldn't fucking humiliate myself again...

But I also knew that Bruce wouldn't take no for an answer.

At least I would be able to get a breath of fresh air...

And buy myself a pretty dress while I was at it.

Bruce had turned me into such a homebody, it was actually alarming how little I left the house.

I only left for work...

And that was really fucking unhealthy.

I had no fucking social skills, and I didn't even know how to talk to anyone other than my husband.

I guessed Bruce was right...

I did need to wake up.

Real life wasn't like the romantic novels that I wrote, and I was stupid to think that I'd ever get my own happy ending.

I was convinced that happy endings didn't even exist.

After all, mine and Bruce's marriage was just a marriage of convenience.