Pure Happiness

I am about to finish out my contract with the Red Stars with a shocking 3 goals and 4 assists, and I'm in first place for assists stats somehow. 

Today's my last game, and I was really sad. I love playing so much you have no idea. 

Mal's boyfriend was coming today because he had an off day. In baseball they play every day, and don't have off very much. 

We didn't tell Mace, because we wanted to surprise him and let him have a catch with Dansby Swanson. He was going to freak out. 

He already got to talk to him over the phone once, and I've only met him once before when he came to Chicago this summer. 

But Mace is going to flip out. 

I invited him over today before our game tonight, and I told him I wanted to have a catch because I was really upset about my contract being up. He came over right away with his glove. 

Mal was driving over in 10 minutes, and I couldn't wait to see his reaction. He had met Mal a number of times, so that wasn't anything new. Not Tatumn though. She didn't really show interest in meeting him. 

It took everything in me to keep my mouth shut. 

Julie came outside a few minutes before Mal got here, saying she was waiting for her. Mace thought nothing of it. 

 When Mal pulled up, I couldn't wipe the dumb smile off my face. He looked confused, and when Dansby got out of the car, he freaked out. 

"No way. No way! No shot. I'm dreaming." He said. 

We all laughed, because it was the cutest reaction. 

"No way." He said again. "Dansby Swanson???" 

"That's me." 

"No way." 

So then after that, they talked baseball while having a catch. 

"Mal, thank you so much for having Dansby do this." I said as we sat on the porch eating fruit Julie had brought out for us. 

"He loves the fans. Wait until you see what else he's got." 

"He didn't have to bring anything!" I said. "Him being here is enough." 

"He wants to play in the majors, right?" Mal asked. 

"Yep." 

"Best way to do that is to hear you can do it from someone who got there already. He's trying to help Mace achieve his dream." 

I realized I had already achieved my dream at 16 years old, or at least part of it. The next step was going to the USWNT, which was going to be a bit different. 

I watched as Mace whipped the ball at Dansby, who whipped it back at him. 

"I want him to be as happy as I am now." I said. 

"I know. You love your boyfriend, and you want to see him succeed. I don't even need to talk to him to know that's what he wants for you." 

While I have realized Mace and I are dating, as we've gone on a lot of dates, I never really had anyone refer to him as my boyfriend yet, which made me excited. 

"I don't deserve him." 

"Yes you do. You deserve everything you've achieved since being her in Chicago." She said. 

A million things went through my head, and I tried to make myself feel like I deserved it, but I couldn't bring myself to believe it.