26 //

Miraya finds herself enjoying the event. 

“I have to take a call. I’ll be back. Will you be okay?” Sasmitha says, holding her phone to her chest. 

“Of course.”

Sasmitha nods at her and rushes outside, the phone pressed to her ear. She was Shray’s publicist’s wife, who offered to accompany her and keep her company throughout the event. She was sweet, with a very feeble voice that was impossible to hear over the roar of the crowd. 

From her seat Miraya can see the back of Shray and Ria’s head, sometimes huddling close to whisper something to each other. The directors, producers, cinematographers, music directors, lyricists and the other cast members were all seated in the first few rows as a lady anchor hosted the event. She has to give it to the anchor for keeping the audience very entertained and patient till the trailer was screened publicly. 

In the chaos of the event, no one has recognised her. Miraya was just another audience with a fairly better seat than the rest. 

Applauds fill the air and Miraya watches Shray walk up to the stage. She sits up straight. 

Under the fancy lights, Shray shines like the star he is. When he climbs up the stage, he smiles and Miraya’s heart flies to him. The twinkle in his eyes and his well-groomed attire makes him swoon-worthy. Miraya hears raging squeals from the audience seated in the deck above her and approves. Shray Nivas is worth all the hype. 

The lady on the stage congratulates him as the trailer looks spectacular (it really did) and wishes him the best for the movie. But she traps him with questions about his next movie, his most awaited one yet. Shray confirms that he was indeed working with the popular director alongside a prominent star in the film industry.

“I am really excited to work with both of them. The shooting is scheduled to start next month so that’s something I am really looking forward to,” Shray says. His suit enhances the gorgeous planes of his shoulders, tailored to be just tight enough to make women drool. 

“We heard you are not single anymore. Fans are craving some information about your new relationship directly from you,” the lady asks. Okay, now Miraya hates that lady. 

For a second, Shray’s eyes falls on the side where she is seated and Miraya panics. But he quickly averts his gaze and smiles. “We really wanted to keep things private but because people want a peek into my life so badly, they have taken that liberty away from me. I don’t want to bring more attention to it. But I can tell you one thing: I am happy and I am doing well in my life. I am grateful for the love my fans shower me with and the messages I receive everyday. Thank you so much.”

After a concluding speech like that, the lady doesn’t dig more into the subject or ask new questions. She wishes him and the entire team the best. When Shray walks down the stairs, his eyes find hers. He doesn’t smile, scared that he would bring attention to her but she knows the meaning of his gaze. You did well, she mouths. Shray purses his lips to confine the smile edging on his lips and takes his seat. 

Ria walks up on the stage and the lady begins making conversation with her. Miraya zones out for a few minutes but her focus draws back in at the question thrown at Ria. 

“How was the experience of sharing screenspace with Shray? People are already claiming you have great chemistry.”

“Shray is fun. The film has a serious and mysterious tone to it but while shooting, we were always making jokes and laughing. He is one of the sweetest person I have worked with and we have become really good friends. He has been a massive support to me as well and I appreciate it so much. He is almost like a little brother to me.”