18 ~ Adoption

It was still dark, but once my eyes adjusted I could see an eagle-size golden pterodactyl trying to escape the leash Dad held

It was still dark, but once my eyes adjusted I could see an eagle-size golden pterodactyl trying to escape the leash Dad held. It somersaulted in the sky, dragging dad like dead weight, while Mum and the gnomes tried to calm the nearby animals.

Screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeech!

I covered my ears. "How can I help?" I shouted to Dad.

Sophie came running up behind me.

"You shouldn't be up. Go back to bed, Girls. We don't need any help." Dad wrapped the leash around his legs for extra stability and then yanked the cord, trying to rein the creature in. The beast fought back, using speed and momentum to pull Dad over as it gained headway.

Screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeech!

Kinda looked like he needed help. . .

A pile of dried umber leaves sat in the middle of the pasture, waiting to be dispersed to the animals for breakfast. Sophie ran straight for it and lit the mound.

"What are you doing?" I shrieked. Ash blew into my eyes as I tried to grab Sophie. No use.

"Someone get some quicksnuff!" Mum shouted.

"Just wait a second," Sophie said, pointing to the pterodactyl, which had quieted down. "I know what I'm doing." I really hoped that was true.

The creature circled once, then dived nose first into the blaze. Sophie couldn't help shrieking as the fire engulfed its golden body, but the pterodactyl flapped its wings in the flames like a bird in a birdbath. I had to back away to avoid the flying sparks.

"What on earth were you thinking?" Mum demanded, jerking Sophie farther away from the fire. "What would possess you to do that?"

"It was cold." Sophie pointed to the pterodactyl, still playing in the flames.

"Cold?" Grady asked, joining them. He was covered in bits of grass and mud.

"Yeah," Sophie told him. "She needed fire."

I stared at Sophie, then at the creature. "I think you're right. I bet this is a flareadon. They have fire-resistant fur—and they have to be around flames or they'll freeze to death. It's why they're so rare. But how did you know that?"

"I'm not sure, but I think . . . I think I read its mind. Is that possible?"

Dad ran his hand across his face. "I don't know. I've never heard of anyone reading an animal's mind before."

"Who cares?" Mum interrupted, her voice an octave higher than normal. "You could've been burned! You could've been killed! And you're supposed to be in bed, resting from your last brush with death!"

Sophie backed a step away from her. "I was just trying to help."

Mum was thinking of Jolie... I let a tear slip from my eye.