3 - Foxfire (Part 1)

"You ready?" he asked

"You ready?" he asked. She definitely wasn't.

"It's... well, unusual." I prepared her. We walked up to the building. It shone like councillor Oralie's circlet.

"THAT'S A SCHOOL?" Sophie questioned, a look of horror spread across her face. She just stood their.

"Sophie?" I asked her with a giggle as Dex poked her in the cheek. She jumped back which made Dex and I burst out laughing. A certain brunette glared at us. Of course, Stina. I just made a loser sign at her which made her run off, posse on her tail. Dex snickered.

Dex led them into the bottom floor of the glass pyramid, which was packed with prodigies in uniforms the same colors as the building's six towers. Sophie pulled a disappointed face.

"You okay?" I whispered in her ear. She quickly nodded, maybe a little to quickly... but I shook it off.

"What are we doing here?" she leaned in and whispered.

  "Every morning starts with orientation. It's no big deal. Dame Alina—our principal—just reads off any announcements while they take attendance." I said pointing to a slender brunette woman strutting through the halls.

"How can they take attendance with this many people?" Sophie said completely confused.

Dex smiled and pulled out a redristry pendant, "They track us with these."

Sophie's mouth formed an 'O' but I could tell she still didn't understand a thing which made we giggle.

Thousands of bells chimed an intricate peal, and everyone faced the far wall, which now showed a close-up of Dame Alina, a stunning beauty with porcelain skin and fragile features.

"Good morning, prodigies. First and foremost, whoever put reekrod in my desk over the weekend will— It's not funny!" she snapped as I snickered. Her eyes narrowed right at me which made me look down at my shoes, "Mark my words—whoever it was will be punished to the fullest extent of my abilities."

Dame Alina waited a moment, "Last week we had fourteen prodigies detect special abilities—a new record." She clapped and everyone joined her. "And—last but not least—where is she? . . . Ah, there!" She gave a bright smile as a spotlight landed on Sophie. Sophie looked horrified. I grabbed her hand and she squeezed it super tight!

"Everyone, please welcome Sophie Foster—a Level Two prodigy, starting her first day at Foxfire."

  Every eye turned to look at Sophie. Her name hissed around the room like a viper's nest. I saw Stina roll her eyes, I shot her a glare like death.

Dame Alina cleared her throat. "Is that how we welcome someone?"

"No, Dame Alina." Chorused around the school.

"That concludes today's announcements. Have a wonderful day!"