15 ~ Celebration

Sophie had chased after me and managed to convince me to forget it

Sophie had chased after me and managed to convince me to forget it. Keefe had agreed when we found him. "Don't even worry about it, best thing I've seen all year!" That did make me crack a smile.

"Thanks, I guess. But still tell your dad I'm sorry." I asked. I didn't really mean it though.

It was a relief to reach the safety of the Level Two wing, which was packed with prodigies running around, popping the prize-filled bubbles. Sophie poked a bubble floating by her locker and a box of Prattles dropped into her hands.

"Good catch," Dex said, running up beside us. He jumped for a bubble but didn't quite reach it. Before he could try again, Stina shoved by, raised a bony arm, and popped it.

She waved the bottle of lushberry juice in Dex's face. "Must get frustrating being shorter than the average dwarf."

I grabbed it from her and handed it to Dex. "This coming from Bigfoot."

Sophie snorted. "This coming from someone who looks like a giant lollipop. If your head gets any bigger, you'll topple over."

Dex cracked up.

"Awfully brave words coming from a girl who's going to flunk out of here today and the psionapath or should I say psychopath." Stina growled.

I opened my mouth but couldn't find a snappy comeback. Stina could be right, and I was trying very hard not to think about that. Especially after the incident with Cassius.

Stina giggled. "Enjoy your last day at Foxfire, loser." She bumped Sophie into the wall and stalked away.

"Don't let her get to you two." Dex pointed to there thinking caps, one was overflowing with presents another half full. I had a pretty good guess on which was mine. "Look at how many people care about you here." He frowned at his own, half-empty cap.

Sophie nudged his arm, pulled a package from her satchel. I swooshed my hands around it and dropped mine on top so that when I moved my hand he had two.

He grinned, flashing his dimples. "I slipped you guy's present in before you got here." His eyes dropped to his feet. "I hope you like it."

"I'll love it. Just let me drop off Biana's gift and we'll go to the cafeteria." "Ugh—why did you buy Biana a present?"

"She's my friend."

"Yeah, and like a month ago you guys hated each other."

"That was a misunderstanding."

"She made me get her one too." I pointed out.

"Yeah, well . . . I don't trust her. I don't think you should either. Why would she reach out to you for—"

Sophie shushed him as Biana entered the atrium, followed by Maruca. They looked like they were talking, but when Sophie got closer she realized they were arguing.