Saint Nick

Liliana's voice

Trying to find a comfortable position when you're in agony is near impossible despite Clara being adorable and bringing me peppermint tea every hour and refilling my hot water bottle to scold me, the pain never subsided. I found myself thrashing around every 10 seconds to try and get some respite from the pain until I finally fell asleep.

A while later I awoke to a knock at the door, strange because Clara didn't normally knock when I was like this. Thankfully my pain had calmed down due to my sleep so I was in a better place for a chat if that's what she wanted. "Come in Clara, you don't have to knock!" I said as loud as my pain would let me.

With that the door opened a crack and a male figure appeared, the same figure I was supposed to meet at the café at 11:15!! NICK! I should have texted him to cancel or reschedule, "I hope I'm not bothering, how are you?" He asked as he opened the door a little more, how could he make the doorway look so tiny?!

At this, I couldn't help it, I was so happy to see him that the words started to flow out "I'm so sorry I didn't tell you I wouldn't be at the café this morning, it all came on so suddenly and I mean it's not contagious or anything but I couldn't work in this condition and I should have told you, I just haven't been thinking straight and-" he cut me off.

Coming in and sitting on my bed with what looked to be coffee in his hands, "Liliana, please, are you ok?!" He said with what I can only describe as worry tainting his voice.

I fidgeted in my bed suddenly aware of my awful appearance, "ohhh no, I'm fine!" I said non-chalantly.

He looked at me with narrow eyes, questioning my reply, "don't lie to me little one" he said looking me up and down.

I instantly put my hands around my waist, embarrassed. I now had to explain to this man, the definition of strength, how weak I was in this moment, "well I umm, I have a chronic illness? It's umm, endometriosis? I don't know if you've heard of it, it's pretty common and very overlooked....." I looked down, sad about my state, I suppose any hope I had of my crush on this man was now completely shattered. I know I'm a lot to take.

He looked at me with sadness and pity in his eyes, something I was used to and then out of nowhere came this anger, "you mean to say this happens a lot?! That you are in this state often??!!" He thundered. Ok.... Not what I expected.

Knowing his anger wasn't directed at me, I sighed and got cosy into my bed again. "It does happen frequently I suppose, at least twice a month...." I replied quietly. His anger didn't scare me, in fact it made me happy that someone cared enough to get that angry for me.

He stood up and walked round the bed so he was standing next to me and crouched down. We were now face to face and I could feel my cheeks heating under his watch. His expression had changed to... regret? "Liliana, I'm sorry, I shouldn't have shouted at you. I promise we will figure this out. I got you a hot chocolate and a warm pain au chocolate, I hope that's ok." He said and my eyes lit up. It hadn't dawned on me until now that I hadn't yet eaten today, my stomach grumbled loudly and I blushed, my eyes wide. He chuckled passing me the food, "here you are little one, I'm just going to make a call, enjoy" he said, then kissed my forehead as I munched on the tasty treat that I had been craving since my conversation with Derek this morning. I watched him walk out my room with wide eyes.

How could he go from anger to tender in a matter of seconds? Moments later I heard Clara's light footsteps. She snuck into my room and sat next to me "ummm hello, who is that hunk??" I giggled at my friend, then winced at the pain it caused.

Her expression apologetic as I replied, "he's just a customer at the café" honesty leaking out of my words.

Her eyebrows raised, "how did he know where to find you then??" As she asked the question, I realised I didn't know the answer. How had he known my address.... I had been so caught up in my worry and happiness that I hadn't even thought how he knew where to find me. Who is this man?!

As if on queue he came back, Clara immediately on guard "how did you know where to find her?" She barked. I looked at her shocked and embarrassed. How could she be so forward with the kind man?

He adjusted his tie and cleared his throat, "her manager was more than helpful" is all he said. So he had waited for me at the café. He had seen I wasn't there and enquired after me. How sweet! Then he continued in another direction, "Liliana will come and stay with me tonight, I will see a doctor tends to her before the sun sets, you have my word that she will be taken care of." I was going to his place?? But why?

Clara looked at me, as if asking my permission. "I don't think that is what she needs right now, to be moved to an alien environment with an alien man" she replied. His face hardened, this hadn't been what he expected.

I decided to interject before a fight broke out because of me! "Nick, as kind as that offer is, I don't think I would feel comfortable coming. I'm a lot of work when I feel like this, I wouldn't want to put you out." I was sad to say this but it was true. As much as I wanted to be with the kind gentleman that made my thoughts muddy, it wasn't fair on him.

Nick looked at me confused, "of course, you need to be looked after. That's what I'll do. I'll ensure your every need is met. Clara, would you mind packing a bag for Liliana while I escort her to my car?" He smiled brightly. So I guess that's it then, I am going to his place.

Clara huffed and looked at me trying to communicate through her eyes but it was entirely lost on me. "Give is a sec could you Santa?" She said bitterly. Santa?? As in Saint Nick?? Haha I loved her humour, even in moments like this. He sighed and rubbed his temples, looked at me with soft eyes and left the room. "LILI!!! WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?!" She whisper shouted at me.

I was confused, why was she angry? I thought she liked the 'hunk'. "I thought you could use a break and he seems sweet and caring, I like him Clara" I said trying to persuade her onto team Santa.

She looked at me in shock. "I feel something dark in him Lili, he's a stranger. Remember? Stranger danger? You're not even at full strength if anything did happen." I couldn't help but laugh at her words. Did she not understand how safe I felt with this man? He wanted what was best for me.

I looked her in the eyes, "Clara I promise I'll be ok, I'll have find my phone on the whole time and I'll text you" she nodded. I continued, "besides, if I have any hope of being with this dreamy man, he needs to see me in all my states, including this one." She looked at me with the pity I hated and eventually gave in.

"Ok but I'm coming to drop you off with him, just so I know where you are" she reasoned.

Nodding I answered, "that sounds fair" I smiled realising I was going to spend time with a man that clouded my thoughts frequently.

Hi there, I just want to thank you for reading my SLOW story. Last time I checked no one had read it and it was just a story for me but now, I'm not alone! The reason for the slow updates is because I have actually got severe endometriosis which has lead to other debilitating health issues so I fit this around when I can. I hope you continue enjoying. Thank you.