Chapter 8

Flames climbed high into the sky as I look up into it. The party was sitting on the roof of the apartment building. We were trying to get our bearings to see what we should do next. We now have evidence that the demons have started an all out war on the human world and nothing is going to stop the coming onslaught. An earthquake shook the building as another explosion rippled through the sky. Above, the sky glowed red, but on the outskirts of Tokyo, was a blue sky and calmness. It seems as if the entire city has become a war zone in a matter of hours. Destroyed tanks sat below. The demons are unaffected by the mundane weapons. Only five of us are within the city. How are we going to protect those who were left in here?

Midoku brought out some food from her backpack and set down a blanket so that we can all rest. She handed me some soup that she heated up with the fire that was on the side of the building. I ate it hungrily and set it aside. I didn't know what to think. I came here to train and become a great Shadowhunter, but I ended up being caught up in a war. A war that should have never happened. Hecate did warn that something was coming, but I didn't think that it was going to be this; just a complete Hell that will engulf the rest of the world if we don't stop it from spreading.

Ghenn appeared in front of me and sat down.

"I want to erase all the bad feelings that has sprung between us," he says setting his food aside, "It's just that I'm overprotective of Kita as she is my younger sister. We are Shadowhunters and we need to work together not trying to kill each other. If anything happens to me, keep her safe. She's all I have and I'm all she has. Since you arrived, this is the happiest I've seen her in so long. Our parents died when we were younger and she wants to find the demon that killed them. I know that the demon is too strong for her to handle. Maybe you can help her. I just wanted to let you know that there isn't any hard feelings."

"Right," I say holding out my hand, "no hard feelings."

Ghenn shakes my hand and he goes to the side of the building and began drawing runes on the side of the building. Kita tells me that this is to ward off any demons that come up here; that this will keep us safe while we sleep. I look up into the sky to see if I could see the moon, but there was just a red cloud that engulfed the sky, no stars, no moon in sight. The building shook violently once again. I go to the side of the building and look down. Demons were climbing up the building. They know we are here. I get out Kajir and say its name. It flashed open and glowed softly.

A demon appeared over the side and I slash down at its face. It screams in agony as it falls to the ground. It falls with a thud and disappears. One of those scorpion demons takes an arrow to the face as it climbs to the top of the door in which goes into the building. The door shudders under the weight of the demon and crumbles to the ground. That must have been the only thing holding up the rest of the roof for the roof collapsed under me and I go wheeling to the floor. On the way down, my back hits almost everything and pain scorched up my spine. Kajir clanged on the metal supports sticking out of the concrete deafening my ears. My arm gets sliced open and my right leg struck something. I grit my teeth in pain. I land with a thud on the ground floor. I slowly get up thinking how was I alive. I drop Kajir and fall to the ground. It must be Kajir that kept me alive.

I spot Kita and the others falling gracefully, landing on both feet as if it was instinct that a roof collapses. Ghenn and Midoku run over to me and begin drawing the runes for healing. I feel the pain in my back ebb away and the cuts and bruises on me no longer hurt. Kita yells something and points upwards. I look up to see the demons flooding in from the gaping hole that used to be the roof. I grab Kajir off the ground and prepare for a fight. Something blasts through the side of the apartment and lands in front of us.

"Belial." Kita murmurs softly.

"Who's Belial?" I ask running up to her side.

"A general of Lucifer," she says, fear spreading in her face, "He governs eighty legions of Goetia and is second in command after Lucifer. We must get out of here!"

"We have to fight!" Ghenn says clenching his seraph blade tightly.

"If we fight, we die!" Kita yells.

"Fine I'll buy you guys as much time as possible." Ghenn says stepping forward, "Get somewhere safe!"

"Ghenn!" Kita screams, "You can't you will die!"

"Go or we all die!"

I grab Kita's arm and we all run out the building. Midoku and Nagamaru sped by us and led the way. I look over at Kita who had tears streaming down her face. She notices that I see her crying and quickly wipes away her tears. A large explosion behind us makes me turn my head around. I see a body flying up in the air and Belial appearing above it. Belial comes down with a fist and all I see is the flash of fire. After the flash ended, Belial and the demons had disappeared. I keep Kita from looking back at the destruction. Ghenn is gone and he saved us all.

****

After an hour of running, we come across a park that was filled with hundreds if not a thousand people. Some were crying into photos of dead or missing family members. The military and the police notice us coming into the park and help us too a clear spot on the grass. They hand us water and some food.

"My brother!" Kita screams out loud crushing the water bottle in her grip, "He's dead!"

"It's okay," the policeman says rubbing her shoulder, "We've all lost someone today."

Kita shrugs off his hand and sobs into her hands. I try to comfort her, but she blocked me out. What would happen if the demons found the park? It would be a massacre. The cops nor the police would be able to protect the people here and we would have to expose our identity. Kita fell asleep sometime during the night. Well I guess you would call it night, but I stayed up until she went to sleep. She was leaning up against a tree the whole time looking towards the way we ran in hopes that Ghenn would show up, but she fell asleep trying to stay hopeful. I get one last glance at the ruining city and go to sleep.