"casualty of being in the Coast Guard, i suppose"

Start from the beginning

"Don't you want her?"

I swallow. "Well—"

"Don't 'well' me. Do you want her or not? It's not a hard question, Hernandez." Onyx sits up straighter, his eyes never leaving mine, and now Abri is more focused on us than she is her book and doesn't bother hiding it.

"He'll just say he doesn't know," Abri says after a moment of silence on my end.

"It's still the truth," I argue back.

Onyx grins. "No answer is an answer in itself, Hernandez. And I know you have to be attracted to her. With that body and with those eyes..." he wolf whistles, "Plus I know she's gotta like you, so that's already a win. You just have to fully sweep her off her feet. How many dudes are left? There's been plenty of eliminations and you haven't been any of them."

I didn't fail to notice that. Just not sure why.

"You're still there, mi amigo," Onyx murmurs, catching my attention. "That means something. Not sure what, but maybe she likes you just as much as you like her."

february 22nd
[ 11:23 AM ]

Having a gun in my hand, even if it's a paintball gun, feels as if I am back where I belong. The wooded area surrounding us reminds me of training, and the sound of shots remind me of when I was young, or when I was a trainee, bursting with energy, eager to join the Coast Guard. Even the masks, the thick clothing sitting on our bodies, the boots thudding the ground, takes me back to memories I forgot about.

"Does this feel familiar?" Charlotte asks, breathless as she strives to keep up with me as we make our way to the next course. The two others, Nico and Noah, walk ahead of us, sporting very little paint on their persons. I can't help but notice the red, yellow, and blue splatters all over Charlotte's legs and torso.

"It does," I answer, slowing down my steps so she doesn't have to run walking next to me, and although it causes me to almost trip over my own feet, she breathes a little easier now. "I feel like I'm back at training."

She grins as she shoves off her mask to let herself take a deep breath. "Is that a good familiar?"

I nod. "I think so. I wasn't as confident then as I am now, but it's different now, so it's training with all the good stuff but without the nerves."

"What was good about it?" she asks, adjusting her gun.

"Jam packed with a hundred other recruits, muddy terrain, gun practice, long nights, early mornings, poker games... There was a lot of good in that. It's the real life combat that's terrifying. In training, it's all what if's, but when you're in the field, there's no guessing anymore. You better know what you have to do or you'll die." I bite back at what else I could tell about my time in the Coast Guard, not knowing how Charlotte would react. But when I glance down at her, she only looks thoughtful.

"I think that's the most I've ever heard you talk about that," she comments.

"Should I have said less?" I tease.

She shakes her head. "No, of course not. I was just surprised, is all."

"You don't have to explain, princess. I was only kidding."

"Come on, you two!" Nico yells ahead of us. I glance up to see the next paintball course, where the other team is already in position. We both make our way with them to our side of the course, where our guide tells us the rules for this course and how to win.

The structure is built like a wall, with steps leading up to it in every direction. I see the team on the other side, walking toward us, toward the guide.