the late night waltz

C H A R L O T T E

written by animationchic/aOK706

round four ||

January 24th

12:11pm

I enter the library, using my hip to push the door completely open and squeak as I promptly drop the box and pile of papers I'm carrying.

"Oh no!" I gasp, kneeling instantly to start regathering the papers to me. This is the second time this morning that I've done this. Hence, why I am late meeting Ambrose.

"I would have helped you with these," Ambrose says, a laugh in his voice as I see him rush over to help me.

"You don't have to help—" I start to wave him off but he stops me.

"Charlotte, let me help," he says good naturedly and I chuckle along with him. As embarrassed as I am, I'm grateful that he's not actually laughing at me, just the situation. Together we gather all of the papers and make our way to my favorite study table. It's mahogany and honestly a bit oversized but it's always held all the books I've ever needed for a report so it quickly became my favorite place in the library. I expect Ambrose to take the seat across from me but he surprises me and takes the seat right next to me.

"Okay," he says, shuffling the papers so they're in neat stacks. "Explain to me how this goes?"

"Oh, um," I stammer, pulling several sheets from each of the piles. I demonstrate how to staple and fold everything so it's perfect. "It's not so hard, but we do need a lot of them."

"I'm up for a challenge." He nods and meets my eyes and my breath catches. He grins at me, his dimple showing and a flurry of emotions swirl in me.

"Well, let's get to work then," I challenge back and soon we've found a rhythm. After maybe twenty minutes though, I can't stand it anymore. I turn to Ambrose. "Do you mind if we put on some music?"

"That sounds like a great idea." Ambrose's smile is genuine, but I bite my lip, nervous. His smile drops. "What's wrong?"

"Just—" I start and then stop myself.

He ducks his head, looking me in the eye. "Out with it Charlotte."

"Fine," I sigh. "Are you going to make fun of my music taste?"

"Should I?" Ambrose asks, and I can tell he's curious now.

"My brother does, he says it's all 'chick music'," I explain to him, pulling my phone out, loading up my music.

Ambrose chuckles. "I mean, you are a woman."

"Yes, I am and is it so wrong to love Taylor Swift?" I ask him, throwing my hands up.

"Not at all." Ambrose's smile widens as his voice drops a bit and for some reason I flush.

"Well, I mean, I totally understand if you don't want to listen to just TSwift, I can find some other playlist," I ramble as I start searching for something a bit more general than my normal playlists on the streaming platform.

"Charlotte." Ambrose's hand covers mine before I can push play. I look up at him to find he's still smiling at me. "Play whatever you want, I'm fine with Taylor Swift."

"You might regret that," I warn him.

"Why's that?" Ambrose asks, his smile turning into a grin.

"Because I can't just listen to Taylor Swift," I admit, my blush creeping to my neck now. But if I don't tell him now, he will know soon enough.