"can i cut in?"

L E V I
round nine ||

march 18th
[ 8:40 AM ]

I don't meet Prince Phillips' gaze as he looks over the room. He's just about to speak when the door opens, and Charlotte comes into the room, her face a mask of determination and exasperation. Wynnie and her uncle turn to her with wide eyes and open mouths, but before either of them can get a word in, Charlotte says, "Guess what time of year it is?"

"What?" Wynnie asks.

"Ah yes, how could I forget?" Phillip says after a moment.

They continue chatting, and I tune out, turning to Linus, whose eyes are fixated on the trio at the front of the room. I wince when I jerk too fast, and he notices, cringing with me. "Did you sleep at all last night?" he asks, peering closer, inspecting my eyes like he did this morning when we walked out of the suite together.

I shake my head. "Not really. I would say I tossed and turned, but I literally couldn't move." I attempt a lighthearted chuckle, but my ribs hurt too much.

Linus rolls his eyes. "Was that your attempt at a joke?" But he chuckles anyway.

I grin. "Well, I—" But then Charlotte speaks again, this time a bit louder.

"Actually, there is one thing," she says to Wynnie, but then she turns to us. "Next week is my parent's anniversary. Every year, we throw a ball in their honor." She steps forward, hands clasped together. "My entire family flies in, close friends, and some dignitaries always show up. It's a big to-do and my parents love it. Well, this year, since you all are here, I would like to extend the invitation not only to you all, but your families as well. Invite whoever you'd like to, the more the merrier." Linus shifts next to me at that, and I glance over at him, seeing his downcast expression. "We will put them up through to the weekend. And of course a wardrobe will be supplied to them as well. I know it's a little inconvenient that the ball is on a Thursday but my parents always insist on having their celebration on their actual anniversary. So like I said, whoever you would like to invite, please do, just let Wynnie or Uncle Phillip know who all to add to the guest list."

She turns to Wynnie, and continues speaking to her directly, but I turn to Linus. "You alright?"

He nods. "Hmm? Yeah."

I raise a brow, seeing Charlotte now leave the room. "Are you sure?"

He swallows. "I don't have many people to invite."

"Me neither," I say, thinking of Abri. "But she didn't say just family, anyone you want to invite can come." I shrug, not sure who else I would invite. I know Abri would want Emmie to come, and I can't think of anyone else except Onyx who would have even a remotely good time.

Linus nods. "Yeah, I guess I have a few people I could ask to come."

"Good."

I sit quietly, clasping my hands together, glancing at the clock for when the King is to make his appearance. I was called about twenty minutes ago to meet him in his office, a place I had never been in before, and sit uncomfortably on the chair. I take in a deep breath and wince, delicately holding my side, releasing the breath without too much strain. It was hard to sleep last night because of the fight, so the bruises around my eyes are much darker because of my lack of rest. I could hardly lay down without being in pain.