three little words

C H A R L O T T E

written by animationchic/aOK706

round fifteen ||

July 2nd

11:00 am

"I have to admit, the Winnie the Pooh theme turned out better than I thought it would," my mother says as she stops beside me, looking at the gathering of people. I hadn't expected everyone I had invited to actually show up. I figured at least a few of them would already have plans, but I was pleased when everyone actually arrived. It has proved that even though so much went on, Hellie is still a very loved member of our family. Even Aunt Diane made the flight in from France, much to Winnie's chagrin. I'm sure Bard is feeling the anxiety as well.

"I figured it was the one book we could all agree on, so it made sense." I shrug my shoulders at my mother's back-handed compliment.

She gives me a small smile. "That's because that nanny always did the voices for you three."

"Meredith." I smile, remembering her name but my mother only frowns. Meredith had been our nanny from the time that Helena had been born to the time Luc was three. Then one day she was just gone. I haven't thought about her in forever. My smile fades as I turn to my mother. "What happened to Meredith? She was just gone one day."

"Oh, who can remember," my mother is flippant as ever in her answer and suddenly she smiles, turning to Chandry, my sister's high school best friend. I leave her to socialize and circulate about the room.

As I wander, I notice small things that need correcting. A finger's already swiped icing from three of the cupcakes and I search for Augusto, relieved to find him in the corner, entertained by my father. Since the big talk the other day, my dad has been making it a point to connect with Auggie and to his credit, Auggie seems to really like him too. Fresh napkins need to be put out on the finger sandwich table and there in the corner, avoiding everyone, is Luc.

"This is your sister's party, you should mingle," I chide him softly.

"Why? No one is here to see me, they only care about the 'princess returned'," he grumbles mocking some of the latest headlines.

"Like I said, it's your sister's party," I tell him and he only sighs. So I match him, sigh for sigh. "Luc, look, I know it's been hard for you. And I'm always here for you. If you're really not having a good time, why stay?"

"Do you think they'll let her stay?" Luc asks me, not seeming to have heard anything I just said to him.

"Who? Hellie?" I ask him, confused. "I mean they've let her stay this long, so why not?"

"Because she doesn't deserve to," Luc says softly and I can feel my cheeks heat. How dare he say that!

"Luc!" My eyes go wide and I glance around. When I'm sure no one is paying attention to us, I grab him by the wrist and drag him into the hallway and down a little ways so anyone who comes out of the garden room wouldn't immediately find us. Finally, I stop, pushing him up against the wall though it's much more difficult to do that now than when we were kids.

"How can you say such a thing?" I ask him, no longer moderating my volume. "She is your sister!"

"No she's not! She gave up that title along with every other title," Luc growls but I can see the root of all this hurt in his eyes. Out of all of us, Luc and Hellie were the closest. She practically raised him alongside the nannies, so when she went missing, Luc probably took it the hardest.