"Bailey it's alright, you can tell me, "My grandpa said, painfully patting my shoulder with his metal hook hand.

After I calmed down a bit, I told my grandpa everything I overheard through my parent's door.

"Bailey there are reasons why we don't eavesdrop on people, it's never a good idea to hear things you weren't meant to hear."

"Yeah, I know I shouldn't have, but do you really think they're going to go through with it, do you think they're actually getting divorced?"

"They didn't tell me anything about it, but that's not much of a surprise your mother never tells me anything anymore."

"She doesn't tell me things either that's why I have to eavesdrop."

My grandpa poured me a glass of grape juice so I wouldn't drink anymore of his wine, but it wasn't the same the juice was missing that bittersweet taste, that made you feel so mature when someone trusted you to try it.

"Having divorced parents isn't all bad, you'll still have both of them, they just won't live together anymore. And I promise whatever their problems are they have nothing to do with you, your parents love both you and Brandy."

At the mention of my sister's name, I started to cry again, I began hyperventilating and had to pull out my inhaler (An inhaler is a special tool for people who have asthma it helps us breathe normally when we start to have an asthma attack).

"Let it out, let it all out," my grandpa said patting my back with his human hand, I was very thankful he wasn't using his hook.

He handed me my juice and after drinking some I calmed down and was able to talk again.

"I love Brandy, I know I call her annoying and I'm always saying I want my own room, but I still love her and now we aren't ever going to see each other again."

"What do you mean, why won't you see Brandy anymore, you two aren't getting a divorce?"

"Emilio's parents got a divorce a few years ago and he hasn't seen his step-brother since."

I remember feeling envious of Emilio because his parents gave him special treatment and he never had to put up with any bratty siblings, but now I only felt guilty and dumb, very dumb.

"I don't know what the situation in Emilio's family was, but I promise I will never let you and Brandy be separated like that. Even if you guys end up living in different houses, I'll make sure you get to come over here and see each other all the time."

"Thanks grandpa," I said giving him a very awkward one-armed hug.

It was difficult to hug my grandfather, I was afraid I would hurt him or myself, nothing like Brandy who practically threw herself at him. I let go of my grandpa and sat back down in my chair sipping another sip of juice staring at a picture of him and my mother sitting on one of the shelves. Next to that was the only existing picture of my grandmother. It was actually just an artistic sketch, but it looked realistic enough to be a picture. She was very pretty with long curly hair and a big smile, in the picture she looked really happy, almost too happy.

"I guess I shouldn't be too upset about my parents getting a divorce, at least I won't have to grow up without a mother, like mom did."

"That was pretty rough," my grandpa said, pouring himself another glass of wine.

"How did grandma die anyway?"

"Your mom never told you?"

"Well, I asked her, and she started crying, so my dad told me never to ask her again because it was really difficult for her to think about."