XIV: ARE YOU SURE?

It had been a week since Wren's attitudinal change, and everything seemed to be going well. Not once had the siblings had an argument, and Quinn was no longer having to sneak back into the house, or clean up beer bottle from around the living room. It seemed as though things were finally looking up.

Quinn had quit her job in the cafe. She didn't want to be around Tyler. She was looking for another job, though. She still wanted to make her own money, even though Wren always offered to give her it.

Quinn and Mason were out on a date. Their first official date, actually. They'd wanted to lay low for the first few days because of Tyler, but they finally decided they weren't gonna let him get to them. It was stupid to be scared of him in the first place, he would never do anything. Hopefully. Quinn still had her fears.

"I'm worried," she told Mason. He shot her a confused expression as he drank from his glass, "About Tyler."

"Quinn. He's not gonna do anything. It's been a week and there's been nothing. That night, with the house thing, and the photo he posted, he was drunk."

"That doesn't mean it wasn't creepy."

"I'm not saying it wasn't creepy. I'm saying he probably won't pull some shut like that again. Plus, you know how Tatum is. She'd deck him before he could come near you."

Quinn laughed. "And you?"

"I'd stand on the sidelines. Kidding. I'd never let him do so much as walk into the same room as you. You have nothing to worry about."

Mason reached across the table, grabbing Quinn's hand and holding it in his. "Thank you, Mason. I guess you're right. I'm just stressing over nothing. Everything's just been so weird lately. I didn't expect myself to be in this situation. I mean, Wren's being nice, I have actually friends, and a boyfriend. I guess I'm just waiting for something to crash down and destroy it."

"Nothing is gonna destroy this. I won't let it, and you shouldn't either."

"I'm so glad I met you."

"No, Wren, I'm not working at another cafe

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

"No, Wren, I'm not working at another cafe. God, the customers are rude as fuck," Quinn said. Her and Wren were sat on the couch, scrolling on the internet for jobs for her.

"How about an arcade?" Wren asked.

"God, no. Our local arcade stinks. Physically and metaphorically."

"Sis, you're never gonna find a job if you complain about every single one that I mention."

"Maybe I should make social media a full time thing."

"That could be a good idea, but it's also really hard to start up, and you might end up as one of those snobby, evil bitches who-"

"Okay, chill, social media is off the table. Ugh. I don't know. Maybe I'll just give up and hope that something throws itself my way. Who knows? Maybe I'll get scouted by a modelling agency or something."

"Quinn. You're pretty, but those are some very slim chances. Plus, lots of people get scouted when they're at work. Get a job. Please. You're almost eighteen. I'm willing to give you money, but I'm not that much older than you, I can't be a provider."

"Fine. I'll figure it out myself. Right now, I need a nap."

Quinn wasn't going for a nap. She was going up to the rooftop, slipping back into old habits. She'd been stressed, for multiple reasons that she couldn't seem to put her finger on.

She climbed out onto the rooftop, lighting the joint that had been hidden in her pocket all day. She sat for about five minutes, before her silence was broken by an all too familiar voice. "I thought you knocked it off with the weed."

Quinn's heart dropped. She looked down at the source of the voice, confirming her suspicions. "Please, Tyler, just leave me alone."

"I wanted to apologise."

"For what?"

"Everything."

"I guess we're gonna be here for a while, then. I don't want an apology, I just want you out of my life."

"That night, when we kissed, and everything got fucked up, I didn't mean what I said. That kiss did mean something to me. I was just scared of getting into a relationship, so I lied. I posted that picture of you and Mason because I was jealous. I was hoping it would make you guys break things off. Then that same night, I wasn't trying to break in. I just wanted to see you. Please, just consider us."

"It's too late for your BS excuses. I'm happy now, and I'm not gonna let you ruin it because you don't know how to express your feelings. I wish you well, Tyler, really, but you need to leave me and my relationship alone. Invest in therapy or something."

"Therapy isn't gonna get you off my mind."

"Maybe not, but it'll sure help you to leave me alone. Just because you aren't happy, doesn't meant you should try and make me miserable."

"I'm not trying to make you miserable, Quinny-"

"Don't call me that."

"I'm just trying to help you see. Mason isn't right for you. I am. I helped you settle in here."

"You made me feel like I was unloveable. You made me feel unsafe in my own home. You made me quit my job."

"That wasn't me. That was you. Your friends. They made you feel as if I was the bad guy in this situation."

"You are the bad guy in this situation! Fuck off, Tyler. You have ten seconds to go away before Wren comes out and beats your ass."

"Are you sure he's sober?"

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Goodbye, Quinn."