CHAPTER THREE

I'M HERE FOR YOU.

I managed to spend as much of my free time with Kendall as possible,  we had a good couple of days together.

And we used all the time we had driving around listening to old music,  eating,  and chilling around the house.

We did whatever we felt until she had work. 

though I still hadn't mentioned what her brother had told me.  I felt that she wasn't ready to talk about anything and I didn't want to push her into saying a thing.

When she is ready to speak she'll tell me everything,  but only when she is ready to I won't be that friend that just dumps a load on her and then forces her to have to tell me everything.

That wouldn't be right at all. 

But for the next day, Kendall will be out of town visiting her grandmother probably to keep her up to date with her father's situation so I'm my mother's helper til then.

I aided my mother with her fundraiser at the local elementary school which to my surprise was considerate and wholesome.  

We both arranged fun games for the kids,  I helped get food stands set up along with my sister who did the bare minimum.

Didn't surprise me in the slightest.

"A little to the left!"  my mother shouted from across the blacktop,  I could hear my sister snicker behind me.

I shifted the little snow cone machine to the left and looked at my mother,  "Is this fine?" She nodded her head and went back to fixing the deserts on the large table in front of her.

Letting out a breath I took a seat next to my sister,   "How long has everyone known Kenneth had cancer?"   I spoke calmingly.

A small smile appeared on my sister's face as she moved closer to me on the bench.

"Six months,"   I felt my hands trembling as her words hit me, hard.

"And no one thought to say anything to me?" My breath started to become shaky as I thought back to all the months Kendall pretended to be fine.

She listened to all my nonsense, even when she and her family were experiencing the worst part of life.

"We waited for Kendall... I figured she would say something."   My jaw clenched.

"Well, she didn't... Victor had to."   A tear slipped down my cheek.

"I'm sorry,  I know it hurts but Kendall was just so depressed by everything happening that it was just too much for her to talk about."   My sister's hand came to mine.

"I'm glad Victor said something so she wouldn't have to."  my sister added.

"Poor Kenneth... He is such an amazing person why do the worst things happen to the best people?"  I felt tears running down my cheeks a little squeeze came from my sister's hand. 

"That's just life sissy,"  she laid my head on her shoulder,  "He will be okay,  the angels are on his side." 

I cracked at her words and the tears just kept coming.    We stayed in that space for a while inviting the silence until our mother was finished with her assignment for the day.

The sun started to set so we all made our way to the car to leave.  Halfway home, I began to think of a way to cheer the James family up.

"We should invite the James over for Sunday dinner?"  I looked over at my mother in the driver's seat and she smiled.