50. Days to remember

Start from the beginning

"What flowers are those, girls?" asked Sanem.

"Daisies!" they exclaimed in unison.

"Bravo!" exclaimed Can. "And did mummy make them for you?"

"Yes. We like them very much." they said cheerfully.

"Oh, I like them very much too. Mummy is very good at making wreaths!" said Can looking at her. Then he looked at them and complimented: "You are beautiful!"

"Thank you." they said in unison. They both embraced him tenderly.

"Ah... " exclaimed Sanem out of the sweetness of the moment.

She raised her eyes to the sky and started fanning herself with her hand to suppress her tears. "I must not cry. I mustn't cry, I mustn't cry." she repeated to herself in a low voice.

Can responded to that embrace by kissing them on the cheek. They too returned the kiss.

"Deniz?" called Can. "You're the big brother, be sure to keep an eye on your sisters tonight." he said.

"Yes, Dad. I'll take care of it." he said seriously.

"Good boy. I'm counting on you." said Can getting up.

"Can, I remind you that they are twins...what big brother?" reminded him Sanem.

"I know, love, but Deniz was born first..." her husband reminded her.

"But we're talking about such a trifling difference in time... that..." said Sanem, leaving the sentence hanging.

"It doesn't matter, he still remains the elder brother." concluded Can smiling.

"OK." he replied surrendering with a smile. For Sanem it didn't matter which of the three was born a few minutes earlier or a few minutes later. They were twins and that was that, but Can in circumstances like this cared to remember that, especially when the first one to be born was also the only boy of the three.

"And now to the most beautiful princess in the world. To the mother of all princesses." Can said, joining Sanem on the sofa. He held out his hand to her, which she accepted and stood up. "Did you think I didn't notice you?" he said looking into her eyes. He drew her to him, his face inches from hers. "You are beautiful. A vision!" he said, squeezing her. He kissed her on the cheek. "Hmm, do you like it?"

"To death." he replied, squaring her from head to toe.

"I don't know, now that I'm wearing it, I'm not so convinced." said Sanem giving herself a look. She wore a long, tight white dress that highlighted her shape, with a deep slit running down her left leg and sleeves falling over her shoulders. Her long, straight, neat hair was combed behind her ears. Her back was partly exposed. She wore the amber necklace in the centre of her chest.

"Why do you say that? You look perfect!" retorted Can.

"I can't walk too long. See, I can't keep up with them." said Sanem pointing at the little ones.

Can then exclaimed: "My little ones, you will be good tonight, won't you?"

"Yes, daddy." they replied.

"See? And then our parents will be there to help us, they will never be alone." he reassured her.

"I'll need help too, by the way." she said, pointing to the dress.

"Ah! For that matter, I am your knight. It will be an honour! Nothing will happen to you." he warned her.

"Can, but you have to entertain the guests, you have to be centre stage, you can't stand behind me." said Sanem. "No, I... I'm going to look for another dress at the costume department." she said decisively.