Chapter 6: Campfire

After bowing to the burning kingdom of Roden, the knights and I said our fare wells. Some of them even wished me in luck in becoming a true knight. I wondered what happened to Jason. He was a true knight and we had a race going on, and I don't feel like beating a corpse. That would be too easy.

I ended up having to walk back to Faldin alone. Bad part is, I never left Faldin. How would I ever hope to find a place I never left?

I walked until sunset and I was left alone in the dark with a bunch of trees. I didn't have my armor or sword. It was all left back at Roden. I sat against a tree and was about to fall asleep when I spotted a flame in the distance. I decided to check it out with the last bit of energy I had. The cold air was settling in and I could see my breath.

The sun had completely set by now and was dark enough for me to barely spot out trees. I came up to the came fire and it smelled like whoever it was, was cooking meat. It smelled like pig and cow. As I got closer I went slower to make sure no one would see me or hear me walking by.

When I got to the fire I was behind a man tending the flames. I wanted to ask for help and I was about to get his attention, but more people came out to the fire. It looked like two kids, girls, and the wife i'm guessing.

"Daddy's home!" The girls yelled and jumped on the man. He laughed and hugged them. While the mother was sitting back smiling. It hit me hard. I use to be those girls when my dad would make trips to deliver his blacksmithing goods.

It made me miss my own parents even more. I decided to talk to the man while people were around. I saw a building, most likely where the other three were at until now.

"Um hello?" I said. The man looked my way and told his daughters to go to their mom.

"I'm Claire, i'm just a little lost." I said. The man nodded and looked back at his wife. Like I say, I assume their married.

"Well, Claire" he began. "We can't offer much. Where are you going?" He asked. He seemed intent on helping, but the wife was unsure.

"I'm heading to Faldin, that's where I live." The fire was burning bright, i'm sure my whole body was in day light, while I could barely see his face since his back was to the flames.

"I couldn't tell ya. I know its the home to retired knights. I'm sorry." The man said. The mother walked over to him with a bit of uneasiness on her face. It seemed like me being here bothered her.

"I know where Faldin is. I have a brother there. Darwin." She says.

"I know Darwin. He is a close friend to me." I said. The mother smiled. "He was always friendly. We have our issues, he won't look at me anymore."

"Well i'm sorry about that, I can talk to him for you, but I need to get there first."

"No, I will talk to him." The mother walked up to me and the father went back to tending the fire that I just now noticed had meat on it. "we can go there together, in the morning of course."

"No offense." I said. "I want to get there now." I was in a bit of a rush.

The husband joined in while tending the flames. "Its best not to argue with her. She will take you to your bed." So I followed the mother into my room. Which had a single bed only.

"Get your rest now." She told me and I thanked her for the bed and the help. I did sleep well, but I had an awful dream.

I was back home with my parents. Like how things used to be. I even played chess against my dad. He won. I guess a master of killing three dragons can win at any war game.

The dream felt so real. When I woke up, I started crying. That dragon Cyrus will be killed even if I die doing it. He took my family.

I left the room and no body else was awake. Which is what I hoped for. I searched around the place and found a small blade while keeping as quiet as possible. I found a small rusted sword and left the place as the sun was barely rising. I jogged for a long time. Running in robes is simple. In armor its not so easy.

I remember standing in the lake watching the sun set. So I knew if I ran the opposite direction of the sun rising. I could make it back to Faldin.

Eventually my legs got tired and there was a tree near by giving off shade. I walked over to it and sat down, breathing heavily. I was sweating and I didn't like it.

I hate being lost, but I couldn't trust a strange family. Yea the mother knew Darwin, but I didn't want to be in their crossfire.

After a short rest, I got up and kept walking and it didn't take long for me to realize something.
Someone was following me. Lucky for me I took that small blade and kept it in my pocket.

I pulled it out. A short rusted blade. It felt much better than a wooden sword. We were in a forest. A big one. Shade all around. Whoever it was, hid in the shadows.

I stood still to listen, in case they moved I could hear it. I held onto the blade tightly. I heard someone behind me. I turned and looked saw a figure in black coats. Without hesitation I threw the blade and whoever it was could not react in time and it stuck in their chest. They fell back from the throw and didn't try to remove it.

I went over to take it out. "Maybe don't follow me so secretly next time." And I pulled out the blade. "Watch out for the other two. The dark mages are coming back." The man grabbed his own blade and stabbed himself in the side of his head. I looked away from seeing that disgusting sight.

Our time of peace is over if the dark mages come back. They are best described as wizards that ride dragons and control them. It won't be pretty for anyone. They also like dark magic.

I got back on track and kept walking thinking about all the stories i've heard about these dark mages. Ruthless killers. They take a dragon and ride it through villages and kingdoms lighting everything in flames.

I sat against a tree again to take another breather. I closed my eyes and started thinking about what my parents would say. Something like. "It's not a girls fight." "Well i'm proud of her for making a difference." "Revenge on Cyrus won't change a thing." I shook the thoughts and stared blankly ahead of me.

I saw something I didn't notice earlier. A horse laying on its right side. The face up side had blood all over it. I knew only one person that rode a white horse. I got up to see the rider was still there. "Thank god." I said to myself

I walked over to check it out and I kneeled before the rider. "Father?"