Chapter 7

Eve

The morning light begins to stream in through the living room window. Allie is still asleep. It's my new normal to be awake early or to have never went to sleep from the day before. Though I wish for more sleep, I don't mind watching my girl sleep. The peaceful expression on her face brings a smile to mine.

I watch as the sun's ray's dance across her face. Illuminating her and all of her beauty. The bright light causes her to stir. I hug her with one arm while resting my head on the other.

"Good morning, baby," I whisper.

"Morning," she says snuggling closer, tucking her head under my chin, near my neck.

"Are you trying to hide from me or the sun?" I laugh.

"Both," she groans. "You're a morning person and the sun is too bright."

"What do you expect when you sleep in a room with a gigantic window?"

"I need coffee," Allie says.

"And sunglasses?" I ask.

"No, you need to put blinds up or curtains."

I laugh and kiss her cheek.

A loud knock comes from the apartment door. Allie jumps at the sudden noise.

"Eve," Damion's voice thunders.

"What the hell, Damion? Go away," I demand.

"Not likely, princess."

I remain silent and hope he'll leave. I know he won't but I also know Allie can't stand to be around him. Rightfully so.

"Suite yourself." His words seep through the door. The hint of a smirk in his voice. Damion kicks the door open. Allie and I scramble up, keeping ourselves covered with blankets.

"Damn it. You can't just force your way into my apartment," I yell stepping in front of Allie.

"I can force my way into about anything." He winks. "As I'm sure you can remember."

"You're disgusting," Allie says storming down the hall to our bedroom.

"Why do you say shit like that?" I ask.

"Because I like to irritate you and your precious girlfriend."

"What do you want, Damion?" I ask, rolling my eyes.

"You, of course," his sickening smile returns to his face.

"Fuck you," I say, gathering my pants and shirt from the floor. "Turn around."

"Why? Its been awhile since I've seen your naked body."

"Damion. I'm not playing your demented mind games. Turn the hell around."

He raises his hands up in defense. "Fine," he says turning around.

I quickly pull my black leggings on and button up my top. I no more than get dressed before a thud comes from the bedroom.

"Ahh, Eve," Allie screams.

I rush down the hall, Damion follows close behind. When I get to the room Allie is thrashing around on the floor. Tears soak her cheeks. I swiftly pick her up in my arms. Her body jolts, seizing.

"What's happening?" Damion asks.

"I... I don't know," I say, laying her on the bed. "Allie. Allie." I try to keep my voice calm. I know she's probably scared and I want to try and calm her if she can hear me.

"Look at her arm. What is that?" Damion asks.

I turn her arm to see her forearm glowing bright red-orange where her scar from the night my creator came for her. Though he wasn't successful in changing her, she still bears the terrifying memory. Allie's body begins to calm and with it, the color fades back to normal.

I look to Damion to be sure I'm not the only one witnessing this .He shrugs.

"Get me a cold rag," I say.

"You think I'm your butler boy?" Damion asks.

"Just go get the damn rag."

Damion walks out of the room. I kneel by the bed, holding Allie's hand in mine. Damion hands me the cold rag.

"Thank you," I say, dabbing it on Allie's forehead. "What was so damn important you felt the need to barge into my apartment?"

"Your ex," he says.

"First off, she isn't just my ex. She's yours too. Second, Amara isn't that dangerous. I can handle myself when it comes to her." I keep my eyes on Allie. "I'd appreciate it if you could let me talk to Allie about Amara. I don't need wrecking my relationship with her any more than you already do."

"Amara is...stronger now." He warns.

"We are all stronger now," I say.

"Eve." Damion grabs my shoulders, lifting me up onto my feet. "You aren't listening, princess." His eyes darken.

"I am listening, but fear won't stop the inevitable. When Amara wants to confront me, she will. I can't stop her. You can't stop her. Daniel can't stop her. Ralph can't stop her."

Damion's eyes lighten. "You don't know, do you?" He loosens his grasp on me.
"Know what?"

"Eve?" Allie's shaky voice pulls my attention away from Damion.

I go to her, taking her in my arms as I sit on the bed. She rests her head against my chest. "Allie, are you okay?" She looks up at me.

"What happened? I don't remember..."

"You don't remember?" I ask, surprised.

"No. But I have the same feeling I had when I woke up from being at my parents' house."

I feel my stomach drop. I don't know what is happening to Allie, but I know this can't be a coincidence.

"She needs to rest," Damion says.

Allie looks at him. "What I need is for you to stop barging into my life with Eve."

Damion laughs.

"What's so funny?" she asks.

"How strong you think you are. You know very little about Eve and her history. You only know what she wants you to know."

"Damion," I hiss.

"We'll see how deep your love runs when all of her secrets come out. Believe me she isn't the glamourous creature you've got painted in your naive head."

"Get out." My voice is stern. "Get out of my apartment. Now." Tears sting my eyes but I don't dare let them out.

Damion rolls his eyes and heads out of the room. I listen to his footsteps as they fade. He slams the door closed as he leaves. I await the questions I can feel forming in Allie's head. As much as I'd like to say that Allie knows me, she doesn't. I'm afraid to tell her everything. Damion is right. My history and life are full of secrets. Secrets that have left deep scars. Scars that bleed and ooze with regret. Regret from allowing myself to be controlled.