Chapter 2

Allie

I can see Eve's worried about something and it's something big. She's a hard sleeper, but lately the slightest change in even my breathing sets her on edge. It's like she's waiting for something to happen. The only thing I know is that I'm tired of seeing her suffer like this.

Dark circles encase her puffy eyes. She is suffering and I want to help her. I shouldn't have freaked out on her when she spoke of Damion, but I can't help it. The thought of them together leaves me nauseated and infuriated. Eve has only told me bits and pieces of her past relationship with him and from what I've been told, she wasn't exactly happy with him. But, I don't know the entire story and maybe it's for the best that I don't. Still, something's triggered within me when I hear her speak his name.

Eve finishes the last of her tea and places the cup on the table beside the couch. I reach my hand up, caressing the side of her cheek. She smiles and holds her hand over mine. I don't doubt that she loves me. She has proven that, but I just have these unsettled feelings within myself. They're trying to tell me something. I just can't understand what.

"Are you ready to talk about it, my angel?" I see the hesitation in her eyes. "What is it?"

"It's nothing..." she says, exhaling.

"Eve," I say, sitting up next to her.

"It's just something silly and I'm letting it bother me too much."

"Silly or not, I still want to know your troubles."

She shakes her head.

"Just because you're supernatural doesn't mean that you're unbreakable."

"Allie, I just can't... explain it, right now," she says, tearing up. "Please, don't make me talk about it. At least, not right now. Okay?"

I want to shake her and demand her to talk to me, but I know the feeling of not wanting to deal with something. I can't make her talk to me and if it is bothering her this much, maybe I don't need to know it. Eve always has a reason for the things she does and keeping me safe and happy is among her top priorities, just as they are for me. I know she struggles with what she is. Being a demon-angel is not for the fainthearted and choosing to love a being like her has been both freighting and delightful.

I hold her head in my hands so she has to meet my gaze. "We all have our demons, my angel. But there is beauty, even in the darkness." I kiss her forehead.

She smiles. "You are the beauty in my darkness."

Leave it to Eve to turn something I said around on me. I meant it as a comforting tool for her, but instead, it has left my heart fluttering. How is it that this powerful woman has chosen me to love? I'm a weak nothing human who can't possibly amount to anything remotely close to the creature she is.

"Are you getting tired?" I ask.

"My body is tired, but my mind refuses to be quiet." She rubs her sleepy eyes.

"I think it's my turn to take care of you for a change," I say, standing. "Come on, my angel."

Eve follows me back to the bedroom. I get into bed and catch a glimpse of her scarred shoulder blades peeking out from the tank-top she is wearing in the mirror. I still wish I could've seen Eve with her wings. I was able to see a hint of them when she tended to me after my small run-in with a car outside of my house.

She slides under the blankets with me. We lay on our sides, facing each other.

"Now, close your eyes," I whisper, watching her fiery eyes extinguish behind her dark and puffy eyelids. I don't know if I'll have any luck helping her sleep, but I have to try. I gently brush my fingertips along her arm. Goosebumps arise, but she remains still. I kiss the tip of her nose, continuing to tickle her arm.