Chapter 5

Eve

Fingers gently glide up and down my arm. I open my sleepy eyes to see Allie's worried expression staring back at me. I rest my hand on her cheek.

"You're okay, baby," I say.

"How could I be so mean?" She asks as tears fall down her cheek. I wipe them away with my thumb.

"It was the wine. It can happen to anyone."

"I've been drunk before. Normally I just get quiet. Why was this time different?"

"Emotions can alter the effects of alcohol," I say. "You were anxious before we stepped foot in your parents' house."

"Eve, you're being too nice." She covers her face with her hand. "I don't deserve that."

"That's not true. You always deserve kindness, baby."

"Stop, please. I can't..." Allie sits up and slides out of bed. I listen to her footsteps as she heads for the living room. I sigh. It's time for me to talk to her about what has been bothering me. At least some of it. I'm still debating on bringing up Amara. Her issues with Damion will only double once she finds out about Amara.

I get up and find Allie staring out of the living room window. One of her favorite places to be. The sun rise graces us with its beauty. I wrap my arm around her lower back.

"Alright, baby. I'm ready to talk, but I never had a chance to give you your birthday present."

"Sex will not fix this, Eve," she says.

"It's not sex." I laugh. "Although, you know I wouldn't turn it down."

She stares up at me.

"Okay, I'll be good." I wink. "Stay here, I'll be right back."

I head back to the bedroom and pull out the light purple velvet pouch that holds the promise ring I've been holding onto for a month. The tear drop shaped ring holds a piece of the feather Allie had saved of mine in the middle.

The night I unintentionally left it for her, I had visited her in the middle of the night. Much like I often did. In the shield of darkness, pacing her room, trying to find the words to explain myself to her. More like what I was to her. I accidentally woke her.

"You are perfect for me," she said, brushing the tears from my cheeks. The memory brings joy to my heart. I was frustrated, trying to find the words to talk to her, but failing. Frustration leads to tears with me. I was a mess, but Allie only saw me as beautiful. She was determined to show me just how sure she was that nothing I could say to her would drive her away. She cradled my face in her hand and pulled me close with the other. Our lips met and my heartbeat quickened in an instant. I felt it. The endless love. That was the night everything changed for me. Our first kiss solidified what I knew to be true.

I want to give the ring to her, but it doesn't seem like the appropriate time. I tuck it back into the velvet envelope before placing it back into the dresser drawer, closing it softly.

"Can I see?"

I jump at the sound of Allie's voice.

"It's not the right time," I say, closing the drawer.

"Eve?"

"I changed my mind. There's something else I'd like to give you." I turn to face her. "Come with me." I take her hand and lead her back to the living room.

I spread a blanket out on the floor. "Have a seat, baby. I have to get a few more things."

"I thought I said sex wouldn't fix this," she says, sitting down.