9. Home sweet home

Start from the beginning

"Yes, now is not the right time, we've just arrived and we don't want to immediately create sorrow for those who have done so much for us. But we have to talk about it calmly and weigh up what to do. Surely what has priority now is to pick up where we left off. Our agency, the perfume company, your books, my photographs... we need to get back on track and take stock."

"I agree! First we have to sort these things out and then calmly we'll think about the rest. Anyway, if we were to look for a house, I'd like to be around here, in a place like this, with these features. Will there be houses for sale around here? Or for rent?" wondered Sanem.

"Ah, you remind me of my father when I first came here. He said exactly the same thing!" recalled Can.

"No way!" exclaimed Sanem.

" Yes... anyway, I don't know if there are any around, but I can inquire. And I absolutely agree on everything. I think there's no doubt about that. A place like this, here, with the sea at our doorstep where we can moor our boat and the forest practically outside the gate of the property would allow us to quietly pick flowers for perfumes... and more importantly this place inspires you... to write."

"And it inspires you to photograph... there are so many views, so many beautiful spots to photograph. And it would be the perfect place to escape to at the end of the day after the chaos of the agency. I mean, thinking about it, it would all come back. A place like this would save our lives," Sanem replied.

"Yeah... if you want in the next few days I can make some calls and find out about the properties around here... so in the meantime we get an idea." Said Can.

"Alright." replied Sanem. "Then I'll start unpacking now." She said as she stood up.

"Hey," said Can, "aren't you going to give me a tour of the house?"

"What?" replied Sanem interjected.

"I mean, for now this is our house.... but I've never seen the whole thing because, if you remember, only you lived here before the wedding.

"That's true." commented Sanem.

"And once we were married, still in our wedding clothes, we set off straight away on a boat. I never saw the whole thing. Would you give me the official tour?"

"Ah, you poor man, of course I'll give you the tour!" said Sanem halfway between serious and joking.

She then took her husband's hand, assumed a tone of mock professionalism, almost like an estate agent, and guided him to the entrance.

"So my dear Mr Divit, as you can see, the entrance opens onto a large open plan area. To your left we have a living area and to your right we have the kitchen." Said Sanem gesturing with her arms to indicate the areas persuasively.

"Ah, yes, very spacious and cosy, please continue Mrs Sanem," commented Can playing along.

"Beyond that door, to the right of the kitchen, we have a guest room." Said Sanem pointing at it.

"Um, Sanem I don't want to interrupt you but I know this area. My father slept in this room too, I know it," Can reminded her.

"Ah, Mr Divit are you perhaps complaining? Wasn't it you who wanted a tour of the whole house?"

"Yes, but...."

"But nothing... then you'll have to put up with the rooms you already knows too."

Can raised his hands in surrender. "Please continue."

"Behind that door next to the fridge is a storage room- pantry."

"Hmm, I didn't know that, for example."