Chapter 12

Amelia Cooper

"I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss the bride."

I could only sense anger in his eyes. He looked confused too. Did he want to marry me? Should I have listened to Fiona? But then he held my hand and we walked outside. Maybe I'm wrong. I shouldn't be acting this paranoid. I JUST GOT MARRIED TO THE LOVE OF MY LIFE!

"Hey, Jonah?" I called him as we were walking to the party area.

"Hmm? Did you call me?" He asked me.

"Yeah. Can I ask you something?" I asked.

"Yeah sure," he said.

"Did you mean whatever you said in those vows?" I asked him for which he froze suddenly.

"Uhh...yeah of course. Why wouldn't I?" He asked.

"No reason. You just seem like you married me for a reason." I said. That was the truth of what I felt at that moment.

"NO! I mean no. Of course not. Why would you even think that?" He answered in a panicked tone. I shouldn't have asked that I guess.

"Ok I'm sorry," I said.

"Amelia?" Called uncle Daniel

"Hey," I said and aunt Jenna came too.

"How are you two?" she asked.

"We're fine mom," Jonah answered.

"Amelia, Jenna and I got you a gift." He said.

"What? But why? I don't need or want anything from both of you. I already got what I wished for." I said looking at Jonah.

"I know. But here you go." They said.

"What is it?" I asked as I held the small blue floral box in my hand.

"Open it." Aunt Jenna said.

I opened it to find a beautiful pair of earrings. It looked like pure, picked-out diamonds embedded in it. It was the most beautiful one I'd ever seen.

"Thank you so much! This is so beautiful!" I exclaimed in happiness and hugged them.

"No problem honey." They replied smiling.

******************

The wedding party was over. We danced under the stars in front of everyone and for the first time, it felt real. Jonah's love felt real after a long time. And now it was official. Jonah and I were married. I was now his Amelia. The car came to a halt. We came to his house now. Sorry, our house. Jonah was quiet the whole time. He didn't help me get out of the car. I mean I was wearing such a big dress. Why is this man always so unpredictable?

"Here ma'am. Let me help you." The driver, a sweet man, said.

'Thank you so much." I replied as he helped me. "Mr. Smith," I said looking at his name tag.

Jonah unlocked the door and we went in. He went straight upstairs asking me to follow him.

"Your room's here. My room's the next one. Ok?" He said and was about to walk away. I immediately raised my voice.

"Wait. What??" I asked confusedly.

"Yeah. What did you think? That we'd stay in the room and sleep together?" He asked. Seriously man?

"Yeah. Cause we're married." I replied.

"Says who?" He asked.

"Says marriage. What is wrong with you? At one moment you say you love me and the next...god! I don't wanna finish the sentence. Now you listen to me. I'm sleeping with you in the same room. No more questions." I said in one breath.

"Okay. Didn't know you were in a hurry to sleep with me." He said smirking at me.

"Shut up. Help me with my luggage, will you?" I asked him.

"Sure." He replied smiling. Finally!

So that was that. Why did he act like that? Did he marry for some reason? Was Fiona right?
I was so tired, so I took a warm shower. I wore my bathrobe and came out to see Jonah sitting on the bed working on his laptop. He suddenly looked at me and I froze. I don't why I couldn't move. I just stood in the same place. Then he got up and started walking towards me. I started moving backward only I hit my back on the bathroom door which I had closed and locked. Stupid Mia!
Now he was so near to me. He pushed the loose strands of my hair back and took my face in his hands. Was he going to kiss me? He brought his face closer and closer. He was only a breath away. He was hesitant. He looked into my eyes and I looked into his. That's when he kissed me. It was only for a moment but it meant a lot. He looked at me as I opened my eyes. I could see the sadness in his eyes. But why? We just kissed. He immediately went back to work.

"Are you ok?" I asked him. I felt embarrassed at this point.

"Yeah. I'm fine. Are you?" He asked me as he sat down.

"Yeah. Um...I'm gonna get dressed and come." I said still embarrassed.

"Ok." He just said.

Jonah Ridge

What is wrong with you Jonah?? Why did you have to kiss her? When she came out after showering, she just looked beautiful and hot. So hot. I wanted to not only kiss her but caress her in my arms too. But, my feelings can't grow. It's just a bet. I can't love her. It was just a stupid love that I needed to outgrow. I know I hurt her and left her confused and I need to cover it up. Or else as dad said, I'm dead like in the literal sense.

"Hey," I said as she came out dressed.

"Hey. You want something?" She asked me kindly.

"No no. um...I'm sorry about that. I shouldn't have done that." I apologized. Now, why the hell am I apologizing?

"It's fine. I mean we're married. You're allowed to kiss me, Jonah." She said.

"If only you knew," I said to myself.

"You ok?" She asked me immediately.

"Yeah. I'm fine." I replied.

"You hungry?" She asked.

"Yes, now you notice?" I asked her slightly irritated to rub off that feeling.

"Ok sorry. Don't get angry. I'll make us something." She said and was going to go out.

"Go do that," I said. More like ordered.

"You're so unpredictable." She said looking at me and went down.

***************

We had dinner. She made pasta because that was something you could make in a short period. Cause you know I was hungry and I'd shouted at her. After dinner, we came up to bed. She kept trying to start a conversation with me but I ignored it, which I'm happy about. I didn't wanna talk so I switched off the lights. She came and lay next to me. Why does she have to sleep with me?!? Calm down, Jonah. It's only for some time then you can divorce her and leave her.

"Good night Jonah." She said in a polite and sweet voice.

"Good night Mia," I said turning towards her.

She has a way to keep my anger in control somehow. Maybe I'll keep falling for her after all.

It was almost midnight. Hours passed by and suddenly, I heard crying and shouting. It was from the person I tried to care least about. It was Mia. Was she okay? Why was she crying like this??