Chapter 8

Song on the side...................................................................................................................................................

Chapter 8

I have detention after school today. Hunter will be there and I don’t know what to do. Jeremy’s words kept sounding over and over again in my head. I promise you we will be together soon. Just like we were over the summer.

I knew all too well what he meant by that and it made me sick.

When was soon? What would happen to me? I don’t think I can survive what he did to me a second time.

He haunts me the rest of the day, the back of my head where he pulled my hair tingles whenever I think about him. By the time I get to detention, I am about ready to break down and scream at the top of the lungs for someone to save me.

The detention room was the same one as my algebra 2 class, so I knew exactly where to go. The room was empty save for the teacher, Hunter, and some senior in the back with his head on the desk, already sleeping.

“Name?” the teacher asked. He was in his fifties with a bald spot at the top of his head and a mustache. He had a look in his eyes that gave me the chills. Like he likes to see kids suffer in detention.

“V-violet.” I stuttered out. It had been the first time I had spoken since the locker room incident.

He nodded and mumbled that I should take a seat. I looked and saw Hunter staring at me, his gaze intense. It gave me good bumps and I immediately looked away. I sat down four rows to the right of him to be safe and began to do my homework, sending him a sign that I did not want to talk.

I remember what he had said this morning. I had no doubt that he would try to speak to me. Like he said, he was not done. Just like Jeremy was not done with me yet.

I closed my eyes and forced myself not to think about that. I wouldn’t compare Hunter to Jeremy. I made myself work on my algebra homework again.

The clock ticks on and on and I have not completed one question on the sheet of paper in front of me. The only things I have been able to focus on are the snores of the senior sleeping in the back and Hunter’s gaze on me.

The teacher stands and announces that he will be back in five minutes. I don’t want him to go. If he goes, there will be nothing stopping Hunter from finishing the conversation he had started this morning.

I am not wrong. As soon as the door clicks shut, Hunter gets up and drops in the seat in front of me, turning around to face me. “He will be back in five minutes.” I said, a weak attempt at a reason for him not to talk to me.

            Hunter gives a half smile and shakes him head. “Nah, he always does this,” he explains.  "He spends half an hour looking at the slock and then leaves and twetny minutes later, he comes back with his hair and clothes ruffled and lipstick on his cheek."

            I wonder what Hunter did to land in detention so many times that he knows the routine. He only just started here.

            I force myself to look back at my homework, but he snatches it from my desk, holding it away from me. “We need to talk.” He states.

            “Give that back.” I said, but he ignores me.

            “Just tell me what happened yesterday. Actually,” he said, changing his mind. "Start from Friday. What had you looking so freaked out after practice?”  My heart hammered in my chest and I looked over to make sure the senior was still fast asleep. He was. “It’s nothing.” I said while I stared at my hands.