Chapter 6

Chapter 6

The weekend was long and almost unbearable. My father was at work, my best friend was not speaking to me, and the house was screaming with silence.

The only positive thing that happened was when I received an email from my sister, saying that she would be over with her boyfriend, Josh, for thanksgiving next month.

            By Sunday, I decided I couldn’t stay at home for another minute. I gathered my jacket and scarf and headed out in the chilly, early October air.  I had no destination in mind. I just started walking. Anywhere was better than being trapped in that house all alone.

            It wasn’t long before I made it into town and was outside of the local coffee shop. It was the place of bunch of teenagers from my high school went in their free time.

            Even now, I saw some familiar faces through the window. One of them being, of all people, Vanessa. She was sitting in a booth in the back with a cup in her hand. Anyone looking would think she was drinking coffee, but I knew how much she hated the bitter taste of it. She was most likely sipping hot chocolate. Vanessa could drink that even in the hot summer heat.

            She was sitting there all alone; maybe I could go in there and apologize, try to explain things to her. However, just as I was about to grab the door handle, the person she had come here with arrived with his own cup in his hand. He sat next to her; close enough so that they were touching.

            She smiled up at him and he kissed her cheek. She blushed and Jeremy leaned in closer, whispering something in her ear that made her laugh. I just stood there and watched, not believing.

            I couldn’t let Vanessa go through the same thing I did.

I can’t I can’t I can’t.

I had to go in there and stop whatever was transpiring between them. I couldn’t be a coward any longer. This was Vanessa. I wouldn’t let him ruin her like he had me.

I put my hand on the door knob, willing myself to open it.

“Violet.”

I snapped my hand back, jumping at the sudden and unexpected voice behind me. I turned around slowly, facing him. It was odd seeing Hunter outside of school. He seemed different, more care free.

His hair was messed up as if he had just gotten out of bed. His eyes were half-lidded and a lazy smile stretched across his face, making him look attractive. I shook my head, getting rid of those bad thoughts. Men only want one thing, I reminded myself.

“H-hi.” I said, avoiding his eyes.

“Are you going in?”

I remembered Jeremy in there and my hands began to shake. I hid them behind my back. “Y-yes.” I stuttered. I knew I had to go in there and rescue my best friend from a threat she didn’t realize was right under her nose.

“Can I buy you some coffee or something?” I barely registered Hunter’s question until he took a step closer to me. I immediately stepped back, my body connecting with the door.

“No,” I shook my head. “I just need to talk to my cousin.” My gut wrenched.

“Your cousin?” Hunter asks, looking into the coffee shop through the large window. When his eyes found Jem and Vanessa, they lightened with understanding. “Jem is your cousin?”

He is my tormentor, rapist, monster.

“Yes.” I answer.

Hunter lets out a sigh, his face relaxing. “I thought he was your boyfriend. He seems almost… possessive… of you.”