Happy Birthday Appa

Yejin had imagined many things about her future, most of them related to her career.

Even if deep down, deep in her heart, she had hoped to meet a man who would challenge everything she had said and thought about love, she had always focused on one thing, her job.

And she liked to believe that her discipline had paid off.

But she had never imagined herself as a housewife, and above all, she had never imagined herself enjoying it.

She was eager to return to the screens, obviously, acting was who she was, it was what she loved doing, but before that, she had to admit that she was enjoying this rest. It was a unique time in her life, and she was savoring every second of it.

Resting, doing what she never had time to do, gardening, cooking...

And enjoying the presence of this man who had challenged everything to become her only exception, her husband, the father of the child she was carrying.

He was gravitating constantly around her, whenever he was home.

When she was gardening, he would come and put a hat on her head before helping her, when she was doing pilates, he would follow her to train with her, when she was going for a walk with Kitty, he would accompany her, holding the leash in one hand, entwining her fingers to his with the other hand. When she was cooking, he would cook with her.

They would talk, sometimes incessantly, or just enjoy the silence, communicating with a look or a smile.

Enjoy it when you can, they have been told, a baby is like a typhoon in diapers, calm is over once he's here!

So they were enjoying the time they had together, and she wished it would never end. He was working so hard, doing shootings after shootings, almost without respite.

If they were a team and he would never impose his point of view or his decisions, since the beginning of the pregnancy, he had been taking his role as head of the family very seriously.

He had told her with undisguised wonder that she was growing a little being born of their love in her body. And that he would work twice as hard during that time, so that he would show their child that the only path to success was hard work.

She loved him. So much. This man was going to be such a wonderful father, just as much as he was a kind, caring, intelligent, respectful, generous and hardworking man.

And this man was going to celebrate his birthday today.

He had to leave for stage greetings later in the day and she was going to make the most of the few hours they had before he was back on the road.

She tasted the miyeok-guk and hummed with satisfaction. Without bragging, it was perfect. It wasn't her first try of course, but somehow the pregnancy made her more clumsy and had changed her taste, so sometimes cooking was challenging.

She set the table, putting the plate of gimbaps in the center, surrounded by all the dishes she had made for the occasion.

She took the cake she had bought out of the fridge, and beamed as she read the inscription she had asked for.

She looked at the clock. He was probably up and getting ready, and he would come soon.

Excited, she bit her lip and ended up hastily taking Kitty under one arm, grabbing the cake with one hand, when she heard his footsteps coming closer.

"Happy Birthday !"

He had that smile that made her heart melt, that smile full of dimples, bright teeth, and glowing love.

He kissed her, laughing happily, and glanced at the cake.

His eyes filled with emotion.

Happy birthday Appa! I can't wait to meet you!

She saw his Adam's apple bobbing back and forth as he swallowed, holding back tears. She put the cake and Kitty down and wrapped her arms around him. He placed a kiss on her temple, one of his hands resting on her rounded stomach.

"Thank you… I can't wait to hold our baby in my arms..." he said in a strangled voice. "Thank you my love, thank you..."

She knew he wasn't just saying thank you for the cake. And she just felt as grateful as he did.

He savored each of her dishes with enthusiasm, he who usually only swallowed a cup of coffee in the morning, and seeing him eating that well made it worth waking up an hour earlier.

And when she wanted to give him her gift, he stopped her.

"You will give it to me tonight..." he said softly.

She let out a little cry of surprise when he pulled her to him and made her sit on his lap, hugging her and resting his head against her chest with a sigh of contentment.

"I just want to hold you for a moment before I have to leave..."

She played for a moment with his hair, marveling for the umpteenth time at how soft it was, while he was just listening to her heart beat, feeling at peace.

"My wife is the best at everything. Acting and cooking." he finally said.

She laughed. Since they had been officially married, he loved calling her "my wife" and she had to admit that she loved it too.

"Oh really? Your wife looks amazing..."

"She is amazing. My wife is unique and I am incredibly lucky that she said yes to me..."

"That's true, indeed. Do I know her?"

He laughed too, took her hand and kissed her knuckles.

It was their fifth birthday together, and he genuinely wondered how he was doing before he met her. She made every moment better, in every way possible.

"I love you...I love you both..."

She smiled and cupped his face in her hands, bringing her face closer to look him in the eyes.

"And what about Kitty?"

He burst out laughing.

"Yes, sorry, I love all three of you."

She planted a sound kiss on his lips.

"Happy Birthday my love..."

Happy, he was, undoubtedly.

Because he had her in his life, because she had said yes to a life with him.

His wife.