Chapter 3. Hey Stranger

Start from the beginning

I started this letter addressing to you (stranger) but somehow as so many times ended up addressing it to Inaaya. I hope you never read this. I hope nobody ever read this.

I gotta go. Wish me luck!

And thank you diary for being my safe haven.

~ Embarrassing Ayansh Mehra

🥀

Ayansh puts the finial of the pen and closes it before shutting the diary too and keeping it in his bag alongwith his other books. The doorbell rings a while later and he goes to open the door.

"Hello." A gleaming Sarya chirps as Ayansh moves aside to let her enter.

"Good morning." He greets politely earning a scrutinizing gaze from her.

She glances at the wall clock behind and then nods her head. "Five minutes left for noon. Fine, it's still morning so I'll accept it." She goes to his room and rakes an eye over bags. "All set?" She asks in an upbeat manner.

"Hopefully." He murmurs uncertainly.

Sarya turns to him, an affectionate look painted on her face. "Well," she chuckles, "I thought to myself before coming here that I'll boost you up, instill some positivity but now, I don't know anymore."

Ayansh scoffs. "Stop behaving as if I'm that miserable."

"You're actually way more miserable than that but nevermind." She jokes and walks back to the living room, sitting on the couch.

Ayansh brings her water to drink.

"She must have completed her education, right?"

He nods. "Must have been working since last few months, earning money and stuff." A small smile tugs at his lips.

"Where is she working?" She questions, handing him the glass back.

Ayansh puts the glass on the table and takes a seat across her. "I don't know." He shrugs. "I didn't try to find that out. Don't want to have a reputation of a certified stalker."

Sarya snorts at that statement. "So what are you planning to do? Show up at her doorstep with a bouquet of flowers and a box of chocolates?"

Ayansh blinks. "So were you expecting me to barge at her workplace and embarrass her as well as myself in front of her colleagues?" He raises an eyebrow.

Her mouth opens and then closes like a fish as she realises he does have a point. "So what are you going to do?"

His lips twitch. "I don't know. I haven't thought about it much." He admits sheepishly. "What I know about her is she still stays at the same place. And what I know about me is that I want to ask for forgiveness from her. I owe her a proper explanation and an apology. I- selfishly, I want her to forgive me for myself. I can't- ," his voice breaks and he pauses to collect himself and takes a deep breath before continuing. "I can't live knowing she hates me. The way she looked at me that day as if she didn't know me anymore still hurts a lot. It's suffocating." He deflates.

"I- "

The doorbell rings, cutting her off.

"It must be the three musketeers." She says with a shake of her head. "Go and open the door."

Ayansh smiles and stands up.

Kabir pulls Ayansh into a hug as soon as the door opens. "Bro, I'm gonna miss you a lot."