Masks and Curses

To say Amaryllis was nervous to enter Amarantha's ball would be the understatement of the century, she was so pants-shittingly terrified that she was clutching Rhysand's arm with so much force that it was a wonder that it hadn't lost circulation. There was no way she would have been able to deny the invitation, not when it mentioned her by name. How Amarantha knew she was in the Night Court was weird but she had no choice but to attend. on the invitation it said that Amarantha was seeking forgiveness from the Spring Court for her actions against Lucien. From what she had heard, Tamlin had gravely insulted the "Queen" and she had begun to cause trouble for the Spring Court. As the Emissary, Lucien went to beg for peace, but he insulted her too. In response, Amarantha carved out his eye.  Because of the disfigurement it caused to his face, the Spring Court fae were invited to wear masks in honor of him. Amaryllis was still part of the Spring Court so, in respect for her friend, she chose to don a mask resembling a ravens face, as a nod to her beast form. Her blind eye glared from the mask, its white coloring unsettling. 

Rhysand glanced down at his mate, unable to control the lustful feelings growing in his chest

Rhysand glanced down at his mate, unable to control the lustful feelings growing in his chest. She was a stunning creature. The dress that she had chosen to wear to this masquerade was just a masterpiece, at least when she wore it. The high slit showing off those delicious legs each wrapped in the leather ties of those sinful shoes she was wearing. The best part was that her beautiful wings were out, flaring from her back. They were so tempting. When he discovered that they were similar to Illyrian wings in that they could give pleasure to their bearer when touched... well he had to fight the urge to hide his mate away and pleasure her until she forgot her own name. But these feelings were dulled slightly by fear, no one knew how this night would end, but if Amarantha was involved then it surely couldn't be good.

"You ready for this?" Rhys whispered in her ear as the pair slowly made their way towards the ballroom. Amaryllis drew a shuddering breath, "Whatever happens in here, I'm with you... to whatever end." She whispered, before pulling a tight smile onto her face as the doors opened.  Fae from every court milled around the room, conversing as beautiful music played in the background. A few pairs were gliding around the dance floor. But, despite the forced calmness, everyone could feel the underlying current of fear and intimidation in the air. Then it got more awkward, Amarantha had spotted them and was making her way over. 

The female was covered in jewelry, her scarlet gown trailing over the marble floors like blood on snow. Her crimson lips parted in a smirk as she laid a kiss on Amaryllis's cheek, obsidian eyes glittering as they swept over her dress. "Amaryllis dear, you look simply ravishing. I was so glad to hear that you accepted my invitation." She purred, menacingly beautiful. Amaryllis smiled, bobbing her head as she curtsied. 

"I could never deny an invitation from one such as you." She murmured. Amarantha stilled, head tilting. "But you have... Tamlin attended my dinners alone. You never seemed to be available." Her voice was silky yet sharp as a knife. Amaryllis felt a bead of sweat travel down her back. "Yes well, my duty to my court must outweigh the pleasures I'm afraid." She said, watching the Queen for her reaction. Amarantha's smirk became ice cold, "So it must..." She simpered. Her eyes lingered on Rhysand before she glided away. Amaryllis released the breath she was holding, feeling Rhys do the same. "Cauldron, she wasn't even talking to me and that was terrifying." He whispered in her ear. Amaryllis nodded in agreement.