Football and Chicken Fights

The following morning, Abigail was at her parents' house, helping her mom clean and cook. She was also talking to her dad about what's been going on so far during the training. He laughed when she told him that she was the only one to shoot down Maverick. He had expected nothing less from her, she was excellent. He knew she was going to go far in her career. This is only the beginning.

     "Mom, do you have any sugar?" Abigail shouts in the kitchen, searching the cabinets. She gets to the last one that looks like it hasn't been touched in quite some time. The sugar sits there alone. "Never mind, got it."

      She adds the correct amount of sugar into the metal bowl, then places the bag off to the side in case she needed to come back to it for the frosting. Then she clicks the metal bowl into the mixer and turns it on, slowly mixing the ingredients together. She spends her time cleaning up the mess she made while waiting for the mix to finish.

      Abigail hears the doorbell ring and her mom rushes to the door to answer it. Abby can't hear over the mixer, but she assumes it's people from the church a few blocks away. Pulling out the cupcake pans, she turns off the mixer and grabs the spatula.

    "Cupcakes? At eight in the morning?" A familiar voice asks, standing at the kitchen island. Abigail turns around, smiling at Maverick. "It's a military house, we're up at 5:30 sharp. I'm already done with what I wanted to get finished today." She shrugs, starting to scoop the mix into each section of the pan. "Did he call you in because of yesterday?" Abigail asks, her voice softening. Maverick nods.

       Sarah, her mom, joins her in the kitchen to put away the ingredients since the mix was already made. The two women exchange a sad look, knowing that they should probably tell him since he's here. So while the cupcakes are cooking in the oven, Abigail steps outside with Maverick. Sarah had locked herself in the bathroom to hide her tears.

     "Pete, we probably should have told you sooner, but-"

     "It's come back." Maverick says quietly, dropping his head and sighing. "Abby, I am so sorry." He breaths out, watching the girl tear up. "There's nothing else they can do, he's in pain when he talks." She cries.

    He wraps his arms around her, rubbing her shoulder. She sniffles and steps back, wiping the tear that had fallen down. "He's in his office, you probably shouldn't keep him waiting. He hates when you do that." She chuckles sadly. Maverick nods, giving her one more hug before making his way back inside to go talk to his longtime friend and former wingman.

     Abigail heads back into the kitchen to wash her hands, then knocks on the bathroom door. "Mom, you okay?" The door opens and her mother is teary eyed, but has a smile on her face. She tries to hide her pain from her daughter, but Abigail sees right through it. Her mom nods and brushes past her to go back to moping on the couch. She's always on stand-by in case Tom needs anything.

      By the time Maverick comes walking out of Ice's office, the cupcakes are finished and have invaded the entire house with the heavenly smell. "Abby, we're not going to be at the base today, instead we're training at the beach behind Penny's bar." Maverick announced, leaning against the kitchen island. She looks at him confusedly. "If I give you a cupcake, will you tell me what you plan on making us do there?" She raises an eyebrow, holding out a cupcake. Maverick smirks and takes the warm chocolate dessert from her. "Dogfight football. Then maybe some chicken fighting afterwards in the water." He replies, humming as he eats the homemade cupcake. He recognizes it, her mother's recipe. Abigail seems to be the perfect mix of her mother and father.

    Except for looks, she's pretty much just a female version of Iceman. But with her mother's chin and nose.

     Abigail hums. "That should be interesting." She smiles, putting the other cupcakes underneath the glass dome. Maverick nods to the door. "Want a ride since we're going to the same place?" He offers. "Did you bring your motorcycle?" She questions. Maverick nods. "Then no." Abigail laughs, having no interest in riding on a motorcycle after the crash she watched happen a few years back. She wasn't 100% sure, but she thinks the man might have died. He wasn't wearing a helmet, which was the mistake that probably cost him his life.