44. Diamond promise

🍎

"So you're just going to leave?"

Adar startles, dropping the saddle strings he was holding. He turns around, eyes wide in surprise, to see the newly crowned emperor standing there like it's normal.

As a prince, maybe, he could've stood in the stables in the middle of the night, after an important party, all alone with some random seasonal witch. But as emperor, everything that he does is of importance. Every move that he makes is recorded into history, deciding the fate of the kingdom. He shouldn't be standing here, he really shouldn't. Not in front of someone like Adar. And the winter witch isn't being hateful to himself when he says that.

He is attractive, and has always known that. Even his own siblings were jealous of his snow white hair and deep black eyes, tall height and sharp facial structure. He is so attractive that he is intimidating, and yeah, maybe he is bragging, but Adar won't start putting himself down any time soon. And now, not only is he attractive, but he is also a powerful winter witch with unlocked magic. There is nothing that can stop him, next to Melora and Hilda he is one of the most powerful supernaturals in the world and there is no way he'll start belittling himself when he can feel the power inside so clearly. It's not about his powers, nor is it about his looks. It's about the fact that he is a witch without a proper family, a witch with no money, no status and on top of all of that: he is a male incapable of giving Saint any royal heirs which the emperor will most surely need.

So it's not just about Saint standing around in the stables that is wrong, it's the context of their relationship that was bad from the beginning.

Adar should never have fallen for a prince, knowing that he was the heir to the most powerful throne in the supernatural first world. It was stupid of him, and stupid of Saint to allow it to happen. But just because he has made mistakes in the past, like allowing this love to blossom, does not mean that he needs to entertain it any longer. Saint is an emperor now. He should marry a good vampire girl who will become a great queen, he should move on with his life, and Adar with his. Even if it hurts, Adar knows that he can never be the kind of person Saint now needs. And Saint standing here, in the stables, with that hopeless look of love in his eyes, Adar dreadfully knows what he is here for.

"I'm emperor now, Adar. I could command you to stay"

There is no weight in his tone. Saint wouldn't do it, and even if he would, Adar wouldn't listen. It wouldn't be his first time disobeying the orders of an emperor. Adar turns around so that he is no longer facing Saint, unable to look at him.

"You know I love you right? I think I've been in love with you from the moment I saw you"

Adar sighs.

"We can't be together Saint, you need a proper empress and I have so much to do. It will take many years before any of us witches can even dream about settling down for good"

Saint walks up to him with rushed steps, taking his arm and attempting to turn him around. Adar doesn't fight back but he also refuses to look the emperor in his eyes, gazing down at his feet instead. It's sad to tell someone that their love is impossible. Love is such a powerful emotion but it's rarely easy to get anywhere close to a relationship. Adar considers himself lucky that the emperor reciprocates his feelings, but sadly their important roles in life will make it nearly impossible for them to ever be together.

"You're thinking too far"

"No, you're thinking naively"

Saint shakes his head.