25. The first adventure on White Snake island

🍎

⚠️ blood, dead bodies, death, murder ⚠️

"It's over..."

Melora lays with her head against the grass, hands shaking. The shining magic sword that she used to fight bursts into thin air, and Melora smiles lightly. It worked. Her magic worked. She helped.

"Did any of them manage to get away?"

Seiran walks across the battlefield, checking the identities of the dead vampire soldiers. She clears her throat silently because of the fog and dust that has gathered in the air, and wipes her face to get rid of splashed blood. If any of the soldiers had managed to get away during the fight, they would all be in big trouble. She sees Melora lay on the ground, her seasonal witch mark exposed to the damp air of the swamp. If the king finds out about this...

Seiran grimaces lightly at the thought and lets her legs work themselves through the thick mud. It smells like rotten eggs and blood, and the ground sloshes against their feet. The mud is suddenly impossibly deeper and dirtier, covering their boots in the brown colour. Seiran glances to the side. By the edge of the swamp lake, Vallin looms over Hilda, saying something that the princess can't hear. The wind howls beneath her ears and suddenly the air around them feels so empty and quiet. Seiran feels the same way after every fight. Her ears which were filled with the sounds of swords, screams and violent grunts are suddenly ringing from the silence of their enemies' deaths.

"I don't think so. We should head out before it gets dark"

Just as Saint has said it, Adar thumps to the ground. He hisses at the few splinters in his hands and starts picking at them immediately, the skin irritated and red. Melora makes a move to stand up from the small patch of grass on the ground, but eventually fails at hosting herself up and just falls back down. Her chest heaves up and down, and her eyes droop. Suddenly Astra is there, right above the spring witch, reaching out her hand for the girl to take.

"You look tired"

Seiran thinks that she doesn't sound worried, it's a plain statement. It's true, too. Melora looks like she's just spent a night out having fun. A waterfall of thoughts rains down on the princess, her previously focused and clear mind suddenly filled with impure thoughts. She watches Melora drag herself up by using Astra's hand as leverage, her eyes fogged and dark. Melora yawns and stumbles on her feet, eventually settling on leaning against the red haired vampire. Astra wraps her arm around Melora and suddenly it's everything to Seiran, she just can't stop looking. What has gotten into her? Astra smiles at the spring witch in such an endearing way, Seiran has never seen her girlfriend like this. She has never seen herself like this.

"Vallin! Hilda! We're leaving now!"

Saint waves with his hands to the two serious newcomers standing by the edge of the lake. Vallin snaps his head towards Saint. Seiran looks at her brother while he looks at Vallin. It's a funny thing that he's named Saint, isn't it? It was meant to be funny. Meant to be mocking towards the humans. But looking at him now, it's almost scary. While standing over a dead vampire, the blood on the sword that he carries has the same red colour as his piercing eyes.

"Alright!"

Vallin's snappy tone is a surprise to everyone. They've seen him angry before, at his old pack house and by the border of his territory. But ever since he joined this mission he's been more quiet and neutral in everything that he does. Vallin is a tall man. When he's angry, it can be quite intimidating. Or it would be, to anyone other than them. Astra wipes her bloody hands against her clothes, standing like a sturdy wall with Melora by her side. Saint and Astra share a raised eyebrow. This is a group filled with powerful supernaturals, everything from intensely trained royal vampires to rare seasonal witches. No, they aren't intimidated. But they can be surprised. Melora forces one of her eyes open to see what's going on.