17. An Explosion Of Emotions

🍎

Running through the forest is something that every werewolf enjoys. The wind in her hair, the smell of the trees, the grass and bushes that brush against her feet. Others enjoy it too, people who aren't werewolves. Hilda is one of those people. And sometimes she wonders if she would feel the same way if she hadn't been raised by a pack of werewolves.

What if she has been raised by her parents. What would her powers have looked like then? What if she was raised at the tower! Would she have known way more magic than she does now? Knowing any magic would be a huge improvement from now, when she knows absolutely nothing. And yet she somehow doesn't feel bad about that, not right now. Not when running through the forest like she does every morning, exactly one hour after breakfast. No magic matters when all she has to use is her legs and her stamina, and that's an amazing thing.

She is alone this time, even though Vallin is usually with her. He left for patrol duty after breakfast, something which she always wanted to do but was never allowed. Only the strongest are allowed. Only werewolves are allowed. Even if she's fast and has good senses, even if she can defend herself and the pack, they will never trust her with a job like that. They only trust her with medicine, because that's what she's supposed to be good at, as a witch. So in that sense, it feels good to be alone sometimes. To just get away from their useless opinions and just feel the wind in her hair.

It makes her feel so free. So happy. So amazing.

And just like always, when she feels these things, a light starts to form inside of her. Something that she can't explain, no matter how hard she tries. It grows and grows, as she continues running. Thinking about everything, letting herself get emotional, that's the key. That's what makes her feel the light inside. It's a little scary, so often she tries to suppress it when it comes. When she gets emotional, they tell her to press it down. Nobody wants an emotional witch, the werewolves aren't very big on emotions, and neither are vampires. But when she feels emotional, a light grows inside of her, and when alone Hilda finds it hard to ignore that light.

This is the largest she has let it grow. Hilda decides to continue. She continues to run, faster and faster, letting her mind go free. All thoughts are allowed, no matter which emotion is involved. She embraces it, and slowly the light grows. She closes her eyes while running, trusting her legs to be familiar enough with the route to keep her on her feet. Upon closing her eyes, the light becomes something that she can see. And when really trying to focus on it, Hilda begins to see things inside of it.

It looks like a river. It rushes by peacefully, again and again, a yellow river with orange waves. The waves crash against the ground, sometimes harshly and sometimes softly. It's wild and free, hard to control. But Hilda knows that in order to use it, she should control it. The magic grows and grows, the current becomes clearer. She keeps running with her eyes closed, not knowing what to do with it. Hilda reaches out and tries to grab the water, somehow, and her hand simply flies through. She can't touch it, but can she bend it to her will by using her mind? Hilda tries again, this time while completely drowning out her surroundings.

The river begins to take another form. Her emotions are still strong, as she is subconsciously thinking about everything that's been going on lately. From her real parents to the recent nightmares, everything that awakens strong emotions inside of her works. And even though it takes a lot of concentration, Hilda finds herself changing the shape of the water. It starts spinning, like a tornado. It spins and spins, and somehow words appear in her head. Words that almost make sense, scrambled letters. Hilda has never focused like this before. She has never gotten this far before. She doesn't know what she is doing, not having planned this at all. One moment she is just taking a morning run, the next she is trying to learn about the weird magic inside of her.