10 | Trinity

Music in media: Trinity by SepticFlesh

11 January, Tuesday, 5 p.m. | Winter

Triad, according to the dictionary, meant a set of three, or a chord of three musical notes, consisting of a given note with the third and fifth above it. The other meaning, Rae was more familiar with, having heard in the news the ravages of Team Rocket: a secret society, a criminal organisation, or a member of one. The Shadow Triad had its roots in either meaning, tripling the trouble. That was not all. Another word for 'triad' was 'trinity'.

The world of Pokémon was very familiar with trinities. Legendaries were often celebrated or chastised as trinities. The Starter Pokémon waiting for adventure and friendship in a lab or a gift box were considered a trinity. There were exceptions to this rule, but it was almost always adhered to. It was akin to every Triad's obsession with space (as in cosmos; as in capacity), naming themselves Rocket, Magma, Aqua, Galactic, Plasma, Flare, Aether, Macro Cosmos, Star... Their ubiquity allowed space for courage.

Courage laid in the heart, the seat of feelings. Presently, Rae sat there while taking a step forward in a bid to save Audino. Lenora tossed her apron over her shoulder and reached for her Poké Ball when Rae sent Chilchil and Noko-Noko out for battle.

"Oh, my, that girl has it good," said Panpour Mask with a sneer. "Say, Lenora, is she a part-timer in your museum?"

"Grr... Why are you acting as if you're the Striaton Triplets?" Lenora pushed forward, summoning Watchog. "Hypnosis."

"Don't you dare!" Upon Pansage Mask's outburst, a Simisage, Simisear and Simipour emerged from the other side of the dam and leapt off the walls, their claws digging into the concrete. Watchog, startled by the sudden increase in enemies, hesitated and was Scalded by a jet of water Simipour released.

"You're right on the money," said Pansear Mask. "But this doesn't change things, does it? Awww, is our black little taboo going to be soft on us?" He glanced at his companions and giggled. "You bet."

Rae knitted her brows. What did this mean? Weren't the Striaton Triplets originally the Gym Leaders of Striaton City as well as waiters in their restaurant? Why would they be this menacing?

The last time Gym Leaders were evil incarnates, she recalled, was when Team Rocket was still a thing. There was Lt. Surge, Koga, Sabrina and Giovanni. But that was all in the past. Surely Gym Leaders were more stringently chosen nowadays, having learnt a lesson from Kanto's corruption? Though, if this was the case, then Cilan must be Pansage Mask, Cress must be Panpour Mask, and that left Chili as Pansear Mask.

Rae understood at once Lenora's befuddlement. "Noko-Noko, Chilchil, let's support Watchog!"

"No, she doesn't get it." Cilan sighed. "We must show her."

Lenora gasped and had Watchog retaliate the barrage of Scald, Incinerate and Seed Bomb, but to no avail. Watchog collapsed onto the concrete after putting in a valiant effort.

"That's unfair!" Rae glanced at Lenora, then at Audino. "Then... Then! Audino, please... Will you battle alongside me?"

"A foreigner's a foreigner," mumbled Cress. "Audino is a farmer's favourite. Defeating one grants immense Exp."

"Don't blame her," chided Chili. "A girl's just a girl. She'll grow up eventually."

"Ah yes, the scantily-clothed woman," Cilan chimed in. "I can see it... Look at all that make-up she has on. She already knows the value of the male gaze!"

"But does she know about the locals' gaze?" Cress smirked. "Enough talk. Simisear, burn that Minccino to a crisp! Incinerate!"

"Audino, I'm counting on you! Zen Headbutt!"