09 | Baby, You're a Star

Music in media: Baby, You're a Star by Deitrick Haddon

11 January, Tuesday, 3:30 p. m. | Winter

Rae didn't understand why she had to be thrust into the acting scene when she should be out there challenging Roxie, getting her second badge and moving on to the next. Brycen had popped in right after she was donned in looser clothing and light makeup.

"Earlier, I said to follow the script, but you may do whatever you wish as long as it has logic to it," said Brycen as he styled her hair into twin braids with the help of his Cryogonal's ice chains. "Your opponents will be using Smeargle."

"Umm... I have to battle them? Do I use a Smeargle too?" Rae patted her hair. Brycen did a marvellous job.

He shook his head and massaged her shoulders, a serious look on his face. "Yes. Battles are a staple in PokéStar Studios films. Usually, the Pokémon will be provided for the first time you film each movie, but Pop Roxie has made it clear he wishes to see Noko-Noko battle alongside you."

Rae got onto the set with Noko-Noko. Chilchil watched on behind the cameras, waving his tail in silent support. The director came up to her and pointed to the female Ace Trainer feeding a Smeargle a pink Poffin.

"That's Alyssa. She plays Penelope. We usually have an opposite gender cast as the Ace Trainer, but for special reasons, Penelope will be acting as your love interest."

Rae nodded at Alyssa before reading through the script, peppered with tips like raising stats, paying attention to hidden effects and delivering decisive blows as well as the importance of chosen lines. Soon, she was out there acting and speaking her lines, battling as best as she could. It didn't help that the time spent acting and battling felt distilled, and maybe that was indeed the case. Due to her sheer anxiety, masked by a louder voice than she would normally use, hence giving the scenes an operatic touch, Rae brought forth moments of improvisation handled calmly by Alyssa and Smeargle. Noko-Noko endured every hit and retaliated with equal tenacity. The product was a strange ending stranger than the one in the records when Whitley confessed her love for Smeargle instead of Penelope. It was peculiar enough for the director to rush it to the theatre to be screened for Rae, her friends and Pop Roxie.

"How did you like it?" Brycen asked her when he caught her at the counter for popcorn.

"It's a fun experience!" Rae beamed at him. "Thanks again, Brycen! I couldn't have done it without your help!"

"Well, you did create the ultimate cult ending, I've heard." Brycen grabbed a box of salted caramel popcorn and a box of wasabi popcorn after Rae grabbed a box of soy sauce and butter popcorn.

They brought the popcorn to their seats. Cheren and Lenora were already seated by the time the duo entered the theatre, chatting away while soaked in perspiration. Brycen slid the box of salted caramel popcorn in between the pair and crossed his arms. Rae made herself comfy on the outermost seat from the right as Cheren told her about his time well spent battling Trainers and giving out badges, his happiness from meeting a fine crop of Trainers and Pokémon, some of them even exotic.

"The movie's about to begin!" exclaimed Pop Roxie before shoving a glazed donut into his mouth.

The countdown from three to one had Rae reaching for her popcorn to soothe her nerves. Just as the title screen came up, a hand grabbed her right shoulder while another stretched out in front of her face, inches shy from her nose, the scent of earthly cologne tickling her nostrils, threatening a sneeze she had to suppress, then Icosa appeared with a box of wasabi popcorn, thanking Brycen. He crossed over her lap and plopped down in the seat beside her.